I met you in California

"Can we have a party?" Alisha's voice rang out.

"What?" I shuddered in surprise and dropped the potatoes I was peeling into the pot. Being on duty in the kitchen was the most boring thing, so my thoughts were occupied with how to tell Troy that I wanted to move to another house, and at the same time not be killed. I was sure he wouldn't let me go, but I didn't want to be with him anymore.

"Well, we'll make a bonfire with music and alcohol. Let's dress up nicely! Ask Troy. He will definitely allow you to use electricity to listen to music from the speaker, and grab some whiskey or wine."

"Are you crazy? Organize useless gatherings?"

"You sound like Jake," Clarke rolled her eyes....

"But he's right. Besides, the dead will come running to the music."

"It's great, us don't have to get behind the wheel and spend time cleaning outside the ranch. Just the military will kill them when they get to the fence. Come on, people need a holiday."

"Maybe we better should find our families. In the end, they left because of the lack of water that here have now. We need to get them back here."

"We'll do it. But we need to prepare for the search, but it's not worth have a party a lot of effort. Agree!" The girl poked me in the side.

Then our conversation was interrupted.

"Do you have anything to chew?"  Dean's head looked into the kitchen with a cheerful smile.

"You're back?"  Alisha asked in surprise.

"Yes, the walk was short.  Everything has been cleared for several tens of kilometers. We're not leaving tomorrow."

"Where's Jake?"

"He and Troy went straight home as soon as they got back. This... is there anything to eat?"

"Yes, everything will be ready soon. Dinner is in 15 minutes."

"But I'm really hungry! I can't wait! I overslept breakfast!"

"Catch," I threw him an apple, "there is nothing else to offer."

"Thanks for that!" Dean blew an ironic kiss and left.

Alyosha and I entered the house. Jake caught us on the way out. He was in a good mood and smiled happily at us. We exchanged pleasantries, after which he and Alisha went to the kitchen. Finally, she turned around and whispered,

"Ask about the party!"

I rolled my eyes. I definitely wasn't going to do that, I had other plans for a dialogue with Troy.

Otto was in the study when I entered the house.

"Hello, Dell. How are you?"

He was drinking whiskey and looking at some map.

"Hi. Everything is fine. What Are you drinking?"

He nodded.

"Something happened?"

"Yeah! Everything is better than ever! Soon our ranch will turn into a real oasis!"

"Aren't you?"

"There are still points that should be finalized," he bit his lip thoughtfully, then abruptly tore his gaze from the map and looked at me, "Did you want something?"

"Yes. Talk."

Troy tensed. He put the rocks glass on the windowsill and, sitting down in a chair at the table, spread his hands.