People don't change

Alejandro looked at Troy, who was still standing with his arms raised, and asked:

"Who is he?"

"He's my friend," I really wanted to say that he was nobody to me, but I made an effort on myself because I knew I couldn't be stupid right now. I hardly knew Michael's parents. Their joy was just surprise at seeing someone they knew. Suddenly they would hurt Troy if I said something bad about him.

"I'm actually her husband," Troy interjected.

I threw him a sizzling glare and mentally punched a facepalm. What an idiot! These people saw me with Aron a little over a year ago. How strange it all looks to them now... I was furious.

"Sorry, probably a stupid question, but still, where is Aron?"

After Anna's question, Otto finally realized what a jerk he was being. I lowered my eyes and shook my head.

"We're sorry, Della... And everyone else? Clara?" 

"Clara is looking for Michael," I lied, "and my parents and brother are safe. They're doing fine."

"We're looking for him too, Della. We've been looking for him for months. No luck."

"She's more persistent than most, so she'll find him," I smiled, lying again.

"What are you doing here? Why aren't you with your loved ones or Clara?"

I hesitated, not knowing what to say. Troy came to the rescue:

"The place where her loved ones are, ran out of gas and we went out to find some. I'm Troy by the way, Troy Otto."

Alejandro and Anna smiled at him, expressing their joy at seeing him. I was already relaxed when suddenly some guy came at Troy and pushed him against the car. They started fighting. No one realized what was going on, there was a commotion, and two men rushed to separate them. Amidst a bunch of yelling, you could make out what the guy who attacked Otto was yelling.

"I thought I was imagining things! But it's you! You're the killer! I recognized you even without your military uniform! Damn asshole!"

When they were separated, I looked at Troy: Broken lip. The assailant was worse: His nose was bleeding, his face was bruised. He was taken away.

"What is the meaning of all this!" exasperated Alejandro.

"I have no idea!" said Troy, spitting up the blood.

"So you don't know Dylan, Troy? He obviously knows you. Or is he wrong?"

"I think so, he is wrong, Troy can't know him. He lived on the ranch before the apocalypse and hasn't gone anywhere since."

I lied again. I realized how Dylan knew Troy. The military base. Troy might not have remembered him. There were a thousand of them. But it's hard not to remember the man who wanted to kill you. I had no desire to protect Troy. There were many things about him that I would never support. And killing innocents people was one of them. But I loved him, so I had to do what I could to keep him safe from a bunch of men with guns.

"We should probably get going," I began.

"Friends, let's at least get something to eat. We need to make it up to Dylan. How far are you guys traveling?"

"We're looking for gas, so we're taking our time."

Troy still couldn't stop the blood on his lips.

"Right then, take a break, we'll socialize!"

Alejandro and Anna turned towards the house, Troy followed them, but I grabbed his sleeve:

"Don't you understand anything? What if Dylan tells?! We'll both be killed!" I whispered.