I love you

Your cheeks flare red as the words slip out, stunning Arthur.

"I... Did I hear you correctly?" He asks, if it hadn't been obvious before, his blush sure was now.

The floor begins to feel like it may fall out from beneath you as panic starts to flood you, leaving your words jumbled as you begin to regret ever letting the words slip,

"I- Um, shit, forget I said anything, its fine—okay even, I get it you don't—"

You words fall flat and lost to the wind, trying desperately to get a read on his emotions—but far too many are running behind those eyes of his.

"It's just up ahead right? Great lets move," you quickly sputter out, forcing your legs to carry you swiftly forward, Tears brimming your eyes with a painful sting.

"(Y/N)—shit wait a damn moment!" Arthur calls after you, you can hear him grunt as he reaches out—only to miss and stumble slightly, "Damn it! Can't you wait for a damn second so I can respond!" He follows after you with a newfound persistence, reaching out again and grabbing onto your arm to pull you back to him.

"I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have said anything—kept it to myself till i died,"

"For god sake—shut up!" He shouts, taking a deep inhale in, "I haven't gotten one word in and you're here blabbering like I already rejected you," he pauses for a moment, eyes focused in on yours with a burning passion,

"I have been in love with you since that night we made that promise—at the campfire, till death do us part?"

The memory of that night floods into your mind like a tidal wave, and then each interaction with him after—all rewritten under this new context,

"I have been hopelessly in love with you since, there is not a moment where you don't consume my being, I thought that maybe if I pretended that these feelings weren't there that I'd get over them, because there was no way you would've ever considered me," his breathing picks up as he desperately tries to get the words out, your eyes wide in surprise as he continues to hold you by the arms, "but I see now that I was wrong, I don't know how I ever deserved someone as good as you, god knows I don't believe it, you are far to good, far too lovely for a man like myself, and yet each day I sat waiting and hoping, praying to a god that has turned its back on me for one shot to be a lovable man,"

his chest rises and falls, pure desperation on his face as he tries to decipher the emotions behind your eyes,

"Arthur..." you murmur out after a moment of initial shock, trying to process the long rambling of his confession, "oh Arthur you are a man worthy of love, you are a lovable man,"

"Then why am I so scared I'm going to ruin you?"

"I don't know," you admit, shaking your head with the biggest grin he'd ever seen, "I don't know but I don't care, if being ruined meant loving you then let me be a tattered soul, there is no such thing as dirty work when it comes to you,"

His grip around your shoulders loosen as his hands move up to cup your face, a smile gracing his face as he presses his forehead to yours,

"I promise, I'll take you to some place fancy once we get off the island, give you a real nice date,"

"I'll hold you to that cowboy," you laugh slightly, "I wish we did this sooner,"

"Me too," he says in a quiet whisper, "so much time to make up, time I don't think we have,"

"Guess we'll just have to double time it then eh?" This earns a chuckle out of him, god the sound is music to your ears, as much as you wanted to stay like this for the rest of eternity, you reluctantly pull away from him,

"The others," you say, pausing as you glance over to the ruins of the temporary base, "they're waiting for us,"

Arthur nods, letting out a small hum of agreement, "they are, lets go then,"

His hands fall from your face, leaving a empty feeling from where they once rested. The walk up the hill is quiet, unresolved questions still lingering,

"So... should we just make it when you take me out on that date?" You ask, elbowing him slightly,

"What?" He asks turning his head to look at you, "oh, er, if you'd like, that'd be a pretty significant thing—a good marker I suppose,"

"Then its settled, we'll call it official then," you can help but feel giddy, a warmth bubbling up inside of you as you let your mind wander about what ifs, how that fateful night will turnout.

An unmistakable good mood.

Then of course Micah opens his mouth, and like nails on a chalkboard your smile falters into a grimace, a quiet groan in mourning of your ruined thoughts,

"Took you two long enough," he scoffs, hunched over with his hands in his coat pockets

"Relax Micah," Arthur huffs, "we ain't take that long,"

"How's Javier?" You ask reluctantly,

"Javier's just fine," Micah draws out, "he's with dutch now, why don't you go talk to him yourself,"

"Sure, thanks," you mumble, giving Arthur a glance before walking around the temporary base for Javier, finding him freshly bandaged up in front of a dying fire,

"How are you feeling?" You inquire, kneeling down beside him, with a slight hesitation,

"Better, now that im not being dragged by an ass,"

"That certainly does help," you laugh, "I appreciate what you did for me back then, I might've gone a little insane had you not," you tap ur fingers along your thigh before perking up,

"Oh! I did it," you give a big grin, "you were right,"