Horses and Laughter

Following along the path, you kept walking, maybe you'd find Bill and get your money back. Maybe some bastard will come along and shoot you. The worst has happened and worse will come but there's no point in sulking. No one survives sulking. You whistle from time to time in hopes your horse will return. The horses of strangers that pass you surely give you false hope.

"Hey you okay?" A more familiar voice said.

"Just dandy." You whistle again, paused in your tracks, waiting for the sound of hooves digging into the ground, only to continue with no avail.

"Here." He said, you looked up to him and saw it was Arthur, with your pouch of money.

"Did you kill the bastard?" You joked raising one arm to take it.

"I wish. Bill is one of the worst ones. There's also a little extra, noticed how light it was." You smiled feeling the weight,

"You have no idea what this means."

"Can I get your name? The camp is curious, Dutch wouldn't stop talkin' about you. Got even molly jealous."

"(Y/N) (L/N) at your service." You grinned.

"(Y/N) huh.. want a ride to get you fixed up?"

"If you'd be so kind to." He held out a arm, and using your good one he lifted you up behind him.

Once settled he turned his horse back around to valentine, carefully riding to keep it as painless as possible. Being so close to him You could smell the cigarettes and forest on him. The forest always had a alluring scent to it.

"So where you from." Arthur was trying to make small talk. You laughed a little.

"It's... complicated."

"A person of secrets. Smart."

"Did you actually want to know or not."

"It could go either way. Any place you've got to go to afterwards?" You thought for a bit, a place to stay? Well you could always stay in a hotel but that gets expensive.

"I guess not." Arthur doesn't respond, not with actual words at least. He slows his horse and dismounts, helping you off and into the doctors. The doctor just relocates your shoulder and gives you a sling.

Arthur's waiting in the doctors office still, waiting for you to be done and on your way to heal, though this time Dutch is with him. They're talking until they noticed you.

"You feeling any better?" Arthur asked

"I can feel my arm again, so I guess yeah."

"Well that is wonderful news, Arthur here was just telling me about you."  Dutch waved his arms around, a cigar inbetween his pointer and index. Rings littered across each finger, some having rings and some not. "How about I offer you my hospitality (Y/N), for it would be a shame for such bright talent and wonder be wasted."

"Okay..." You glanced to Arthur, trying to see if there was any warnings or signs saying to refuse. But there was none. "It's better than nothing."

"Wonderful!" Dutch raised his arms up, walking over to you, he place his arm carefully around you and led you out. "Now, I must ask, do you have a horse?" You laughed softly.

"I did, spooked the thing and haven't seen it since." Dutch left this overwhelming sense of security, he helped you up into Arthur's horse, mounting his own right after.

"Well, we'll do our best to find it." Arthur got into position, taking the reigns and trotting off. Following Dutch back to their camp. The ride was quiet, you looked around the road you had been on less than an hour ago. Dutch slowed, stopping in the place You had fallen off your horse. "You take (Y/N) back to camp, I'll see if I can't find their horse." Dutch said motioning Arthur onwards as he diverted.

"Shouldn't take long, what we're you even trying to do?"

"Well I was trying to kill bill for my money back. I picked up a trick from horse riding. Got me a lot of looks that's for sure." You laughed a little, remember all the times you passed someone and their look of confusion and wonder. You probably looked like you came right out of the circus.

Arthur laughed, something low and scratchy but almost like a blessing on the ears. Something inside you wanted to hear it again. But you didn't attempt to make him laugh again.

He cut off into the trees, working his way around the forestry until a voice called out.

"Who's there?"

"It's Me! Arthur—dumbass." Arthur had mumbled a insult, giving you reason to laugh a little. He slowed his horse and hitched it, sliding off the saddle and helping you off.  The people who weren't working crowded around you and Arthur, followed by the ones that were.

"Is this the person Dutch was talkin about?" One of the girls muttered amongst themselves. You noticed a little boy standing at the feet of what you assumed was his mother, so you gave the sweetest smile you could and waved hello to him.

You found that you worked well with children, no matter the differences they always loved you. Which is what you mostly did in your younger days, babysitting.

"Ms Grimshaw? Can you please set Y/N up someplace nice to sleep." Arthur asked "on request of Dutch."

The next hour everyone was introducing themselves, except for Bill who liked to stay on the opposite side of the camp from you. Most likely not sure how to ease things out with you.

You learned the name of the little boy, Jack, and his mother Abigail. As well as Javier and charles, the two at the bar earlier.

Uncle as everyone called him, You wondered if he actually had a name. Molly, Tilly, Karen, Mary Beth, they were lovely girls, Lenny who was more into reading than one would assume of outlaws.

Micah, who you almost immediately punched, Hosea who had nothing but lovely things to say, and Sadie. She was a widow they had rescued from the O'driscolls. Leopold Strauss had come up to you after everyone else to formally introduce himself. He hoped to make your Acquaintance at least.

You noticed Kieran tied to the tree, a small amount of pity settled in you, that sure wasn't good conditions.

They were more welcoming than you would have thought. Maybe you needed this.