Mornings and Doubt

"My bad." You walked over, sitting down on the edge of the bed, "so what are you writing in that thing anyway?"

"None of ya business." He grumbled, closing it and placing it in his lap, you pouted, taking off your boots.

Crawling up next to him closest to the wall you sat on your elbows. "You're so secretive with that thing... What do you think dutch is gonna make us do next?"

He grumbled a "I dunno" as he moved his journal onto the nightstand next to him. "He wanted me to go investigate the grays mansion. See what I could do to find out where their riches were.. or something. So far it's just been some dumb forbidden love story."

"A dumb love story is a favorite of mine, makes me laugh most of the time." He laughed, ruffling your damp hair as he shifted lower on the bed,

"You wanna hear a story then?" When your eyes lit up in excitement he seemed taken aback,

"Oh yes yes yes please do tell." You practically squealed in excitement, laying your head across your crossed arms as you stared at him as if you were a child. He laughed lightly before looking up to the ceiling. He began recalling the story.

Once he had finished, he found you asleep peacefully snuggled up to him. His heart raced a little at the sight, adjusting himself so he would be more comfortable before falling asleep himself.

In the morning, you two were woken up abruptly by knocking on the door, mumbled groaning as you rubbed you eyes, you felt a weight leave your waist, leaving that spot colder than the rest of your body. Arthur stumbled out of bed, opening the door a crack. You didn't understand what was being said as you plopped back onto your back. The door closed and Arthur walked back.

"Come On sleepy head, we gotta go." arthur said as he put his boots back on. When you didn't respond fast enough he lightly slapped your side to get you to hurry up.

"I want to sleep more..." you whined as you begrudgingly sat up to put your boots on.

"We'll grab some coffee before we hit the road, now come on." Arthur waved you over with his hand, opening then door and heading down the stairs with you in tow.

After getting some coffee and mounted up, you two began your way back to camp. You gently rubbed your thumb over the reigns, it was quiet... like really quiet. Pulling back on the reigns you halted Ethanol. Arthur following in seconds,

"What's going on?" He grumbled, turning his horse towards you,

"It's so quiet..." you mumbled "really quiet..." you stared into the forest next to you, expecting some sort of animal to make a noise other than your horse.

"We can't dwell on it forever, come on." Arthur said starting up again, hesitantly, you followed. You just couldn't get rid of that sinking feeling. You stopped again, this time climbing off your horse.

"(Y/N)? What on earth are you doin?" He asked as you waded through the first line of bushes, suddenly, a knife came barreling towards you, making you gasp as a man tackled you, trying to keep you from squirming. Arthur jumped off his horse, moving to get a clear sight of your attacker before shooting.

"Fuckin hell.." you muttered, taking a moment to catch your breath.

"This wouldn't have happened if we just kept moving." Arthur hissed, holding out his hand to help you up. With a glance you noticed that the man had ended up take the knife instead of you, which you thought was just bad planning, hurrying back onto your horse you spared a look to Arthur as he climbed onto his horse, with the crack of your reigns Ethanol started off in a sprint, which turned into a gallop.

Eventually, Ethanol slowed down, walking along the edge of the road, you hadn't been paying attention to where you were going and seemed to go astray, Arthur was no where to be seen, perhaps he had just fallen too far behind.

Regardless you kept along the path, knowing you were at least going in the right direction... you hoped.

"Things are gonna get a lot more interesting... huh Ethanol." You gently rubbed her neck, getting a snort in response. "It's nothing new, we'll make it." Taking a moment to take in your surroundings you had almost forgotten how beautiful the world could be.

"All right girl, let's get going." You patted her neck, clicking to get her moving faster. "I hope Arthur isn't too upset with me."

At least you were right, he seemed relieved once he saw you draw closer to the camp.

"I was beginning to worry, you had taken so long I thought maybe you were in trouble." Arthur said as he walked up, offering Ethanol a carrot.

"Sorry about that Cowboy, I wasn't paying attention." He let out a sigh, pinching the bridge of his nose with his free hand, then ran a hand over his face before changing the subject.

"Ethanol here is quite a fast horse. Even I couldn't keep up." He placed a hand on her nose, gently rubbing it. You let out a hum in response, watching Ethanol respond positively to his touch.

Dutch then sauntered over, "(Y/N)! Glad to see you again, here come with me." Dutch placed a hand on your lower back, pushing you towards his tent, where he filled you in on what he planned next.

Sheriff gray had requested that Dutch and co. Meet him infront of the sheriffs office tomorrow.

"That doesn't sound like a trap or anything." You mumbled, placing a hand on your head.

"I promise you they have no idea we are double crossing both families." You bit the inside of your lips, unconvinced of their Ignorance as Dutch claimed.

"Alright. If you say so."  You turned away, heading over to campfire, you plopped into the seat next to Javier as he began to play. The allure of the fire taking your attention completely.