Promises

After the craze died down, You and Arthur—Sometimes Hosea too—would talk. Usually about past experiences with and without Dutch and the sort. Arthur would talk to you any chance he had.

The campfire felt almost unneeded with the heat and thickness of the air. It was suffocating but evened out near evening.

Javier had gotten out the guitar as he did and began playing, the sounds of his voice almost lulling you to sleep. Though it was disrupted when a large hand patted down onto your shoulder. It was Arthur, the friendly giant.

"So Cowboy," you started looking over to him, "any good news?"

"Rhodes is full of dimwits that's for sure." Arthur grumbled, resting his head in the palm of his hand. You patted his thigh, Hosea walked over and took a seat to your right.

"The local law is clueless. They don't even know who we are." Hosea laughed, "we're thinking—well me and Dutch are—that the two families are sitting on gold, and we're gonna try and get some of it." You grinned, excited that this might actually work considering that Hosea is interested in it.

"Can I join?" You asked, Hosea looked at you in consideration, then hesitantly shook his head. Arthur had perked up.

"(Y/N)would be perfect for one of the jobs, and it might just let (Y/N) show how much they can really do."

"Take it up with Dutch. But I would like to see you in action." Hosea looked to you, his approval clear. You felt all bubbly, not sure whether it from Arthur or Hosea's confidence in you.

Arthur looked over to Dutch and then stood up, walking over to him.

"Do you like him?" Hosea asked bluntly. You laughed and shook your head.

"He's got something going right for him though, can't deny that he isn't at least attractive right." You said buzzing your lips, Javier had stopped playing and put his guitar away, Laying down on his cot to sleep. You hushed slightly.

"You could say that." Hosea said, "get some good rest I'm hoping that you'll get to work with us tomorrow." You smiled in response, staring back into the fire. Arthur walked over once more, sitting down next to you quieter.

"Dutch agreed. Saw something in you and has been itching to see what you're capable of."

"That's nice to hear," you softly smiled to yourself, fiddling with your hands as you both stared into the fire.

"You know... you could say that I'm excited to see you in action, with the rest of us." He mumbled, his eyes trailing over to your hands.

You leaned back meeting his eyes, a long drawn out breath as a silence stilled over.

"I used to run with others. They were like family to me." You paused taking another deep breath, "they were family to me. But I wasn't family to them." You had quieted down, looking back into the fire, contemplating whether to continue or not. "This was after I had ran away in search for something new."

He opened his mouth and then promptly closed it, furrowing his eyebrows as he stared at you.

"Took half of my money and ran, packed up while I was sleeping and fucking left." You clenched your fists, with a sigh all the tension vanishing. "I don't want to be left again." Glancing up to Arthur you watched him.

"I won't leave you. Not like they did." Arthur seemed to struggle to form words. You lifted up your hand, pinkie out,

"Promise?" He brought up his hand, pinkie out as well. Wrapping his pinkie around yours.

"Promise. Till death do we part." You snickered at his attempt to be all sincere, grateful that at least one person will do their best to be by your side through thick and thin. A chill then went down your spine and Micah placed his hand on your shoulder.

"Save us the sob story, (Y/N)" he sneered looking at you as he leaned in the opposite direction. You groaned rolling your eyes.

"You know what fuck you man, what is your problem."

"I ain't got no problem," Micah emphasized 'got' sharply, almost snapping at you. You stood up rolling your eyes, a groan escaping before you glanced to Arthur.

"I'm gonna go to sleep, good night Cowboy."

"Good night." Arthur said, turning to Micah and glaring. You walked off to your tent to lay down and sleep, feeling more secured than before. Getting better sleep than you had ever gotten that night.

You had waken up before the rest of the camp, getting the coffee ready for when the rest of the camp wakes up. The bitter substance meeting your tongue gave you a jolt of energy. Arthur was the next one up wandering over to the coffee pot to discover it was already made. He grabbed himself a cup and discovered where you had seated yourself.

Sipping his coffee you two sat in a comfortable silence. You glanced over to him.

"You're gonna keep that promise right?" You asked, looking to him. He looked back, glancing around your face before focusing on you, nodding.

"Yeah. Till death do we part." You smiled, quietly thanking him. Dutch and Hosea were the next to wake up, joining at the fire. A cup of coffee in their hands as they worked off the sleep.

"The Sheriff of this backwater town has some work for us, I figured this would be a good test." Dutch said, glancing to you, then to Arthur.

"Well," you shifted in your seat looking up to Dutch, "I'm happy to provide my service."

"Just don't go dyin. That's the last thing the camp needs." Hosea said as he stood up, an empty cup in his hands. You followed him up, the cup of coffee in your hand empty as well.

"The joys of gunslingin'!" The entire camp was up now and starting it's morning routine. Mostly quiet chatter here and there but you knew it would get louder as everyone worked off the sleep.

Outside of this? You probably would be dead. You're thankful you've gotten this opportunity.