Death and Idiocy

Briskly walking over to your tent, you crouched down and onto your roll. You laid down and shifted until you were comfortable, a bubbling warmth inside you as you drifted off to sleep.

The sun bore its bright heat down onto you, bothering you in your peaceful state. With a grumbled curse of the sun you sat up, rubbing your eyes.

Taking a moment to refocus your mind, your eyes grazed over the camp, it looked like you were the last one to get up, as everyone else was already moving and busying themselves to avoid Grimshaw's wrath. Apart from uncle of course but what would anyone expect from him.

With a tired laughed you stood up, taking the opportunity to fully stretch out the tiredness.

"Morning (Y/N)," Charles' voice called out as you began your walk towards the smell of coffee, "if you could even call it that." His laughter made you look up into the sky, eventually laughing along with him.

"I guess I was more tired than I assumed." With coffee in your hands you were ready to go. Sean, Micah, and Bill were no where to be seen. Micah you were glad for, he always got under everyone's skin like a parasite.

Arthur was on his way to his horse as you finished your cup, placing it in a barrel with other used utensils, you hurried over, following him.

"Thought maybe you weren't coming after all, didn't seem like you wanted to wake up at all." Arthur said, sparing you a glance.

"Now as pleasant as that would sound... I don't think I'd like it.." you trailed off, boosting yourself up onto Ethanol, "is dutch not coming?"

"Nah he's got other business to attend to," Arthur waved a hand to dismiss it, "at least that's what he said." You hummed in acknowledgement, letting a silence fall over you both. Although it was fast lived as you spoke up,

"I did mention how I thought it sounded like a trap, maybe he took it to heart." You covered your mouth as you held in a laugh, "if he even has one,"

Arthur let out a short laugh, Micah and Sean coming into view first, then Bill who made his presence known by moving off the wagon.

"There you are Morgan. We've been waiting for you." Micah jumped off the wall he was sitting on, shortly followed by Sean, " (L/N)." You preferred his lack of acknowledgement over having to hear a part of your name come out of his mouth.

You scoffed, rolling your eyes as you and Arthur both dismounted and walking up to them as they began walking down the street, talking about the job bill was offered by the Grays.

You glanced to the side, trying to tune out Micah's voice. Your gaze drifting up to the roof to see a sniper taking aim, you looked to Sean alarmed, Reaching out a hand as if you were close enough to pull him away from the line of fire,

"Sea-" you couldn't even finish his name before he head blew right open, freezing you in place.

Arthur, noticing your lack of movement, tackled you into cover, concern written all over his face as he sat over you, although he couldn't hold that position, needing to return fire. Whenever there was an opening, he'd drag you along to the next safest spot.

You couldn't believe it.

Sean was dead.

You felt like crying, maybe punching a wall or screaming or something to deal with this bubbling mess of emotions. But you were frozen in place, completely on autopilot, the memory of his death played over and over until it made you sick of thinking. Anything would be better than thinking.

Arthur hovered over you occasionally trying to get a response out of you. Arthur... Arthur! You could focus on him!

Your ears shot back into focus, right as the gunfire was dying down.

"(Y/N)! (Y/N)!" Arthur had placed both  hands on your shoulders, gently shaking you to try and snap you out of your trance. As if almost on instinct your arms shot up around his neck.

"Oh god..." you managed out, voice quivering with your body.

"Jesus.. I was worried you'd be stuck like that forever.." he mumbled as he returned the hug,

"He's... really dead... I wish I'd seen the bastard sooner."

"You guys seen Bill?" Micah called out, making you and Arthur look up,

"Dont tell me that fool got himself captured."

"Ah whatever we'll find him later." With a wave of a hand he changed topic slightly, "Sheriff Gray! You need to get a hold on this town! It's going to hell!" You looked to Arthur, only now realizing just how close you two were. With your heart racing you patted his chest, pushing yourself away and up.

He gave you a confused look before standing up as well, Sheriff grays voice echoing over the quiet town,

"Who do you think you are!? A bunch of two bit thugs from god knows where?" The three of you began walking down the street, stopping just infront of the sheriffs office, "You're so dumb to think we don't know what you've been doing." You scrunched up your nose, Dutch would not like the news.

"Come out Sheriff! its over." Micah drew out the ending in a snobbish tone. His voice making you want to rip out your ears.

"We've put down far worse than you! A hundred times over! This is the grays town! Always has been and always will be!" His voice was shrill, he sounded a bit more panicky than before. Micah leaned forward, arms stretched out as he gestured across the town,

"The Only grays I see left around here..." He paused for effect, "Is you!"

"You want us to come out? We'll come out!" Gray's Voice didn't shrill this time, the door bursting open to Bill and four other grays.

"Oh... Bill!" Arthur groaned looking away in disbelief before returning his sights on Bill and his captors.

"Guns on the ground! Now!"

"Don't! Do it!" Bill hissed

"Now you know we can't do that." Arthur paused, looking toward the sheriff, "you put the gun down sheriff!" He said, beckoning with a swift motion.

"I'll blow his brains out!" And almost as if on cue, Arthur and Micah pulled out their pistols, shooting at least the Gray that was holding Bill. Which ensued a quick firefight that died as soon as it started.

"Shit..." You and Bill said at the same time, Bill staggering towards the railing on the front porch in relief.