Chapter 6

PLAYLIST:

Shake it Out by Florence and the Machine

TW: anxiety, mild depression

Breakfast was Aziraphale's favorite time to discuss baby preparation. He was about to bring up baby-proofing when he noticed how downcast Crowley looked. "Darling, what's wrong? Are you depressed?"

"Yes," she mumbled. "Every time I think we have a handle on things, more shit just comes up. There's so much stuff to do, and I'm so tired, but we've still got along ways to go. I miss us just spending time together without everything being about the baby. That probably sounds awful."

She sounded so sad that Aziraphale stopped taking notes, and looked at her, worried. "That doesn't sound awful. Maybe we've been too careful. We haven't had fun in ages."

"There's no such thing as too careful; we smelled an angel not even a week ago."

"Yes," Aziraphale agreed, "but even so, there's been no contact from either Head Office."

"Thank Someone for that."

"We can't let fear rule our lives anymore. That's no way to start a new life. I think a day out is just what we need."

The demon narrowed her eyes at him. "What are you plotting?"

"Anathema mentioned that there's a Founder's Day festival in Tadfield. There'll be a carnival," Aziraphale wheedled. "And if you don't feel well, we'll come right home."

Crowley put on a show of grumbling and growling before she—inevitably—agreed. Then she thought of something and perked up. "All right, but I'm not going on any bloody rollercoasters!"

Of course, there was a prime parking spot for the Bentley. Newt and Anathema were waiting at the gate with their daughter in a pram; Adam and the Them were already inside.

"Don't you look cute, all mommy-to-be," Anathema cooed at Crowley.

Any other time, Crowley would have scowled, but pregnancy hormones had softened her a bit, at least for now. "Thanks, Ana," she said shyly. "I feel like a whale."

"You don't look like one, I promise."

Aziraphale homed in on their daughter, Lily, ensconced in the shaded pram. "Goodness, you're growing fast, aren't you, little flower?"

"I still don't think we should have her out here," Newt said nervously. "Too much sun. Too many people."

"That's why we've got an angel and a demon with us," Anathema reminded him.

"Heaven can hardly fault me for doing miracles on such a beautiful little girl," Aziraphale agreed. He offered Crowley his arm. "Shall we, my dear?"

It was an American-style carnival with games, rides, animals, and food trucks. Crowley lit up at the latter.

"Where do you want to go first?"she asked her husband.

"What about your upset tummy?"Aziraphale asked in a desperate attempt to get himself off the hook.

"I throw up water, might as well make it worthwhile."

Aziraphale began to wonder if he'd made the right decision in coming here.

Just to make it worse, Anathema broke in. "Crowley, you've been around the culinary block. I think that we should educate the boys on fair food."

Crowley's grin was the most demonic expression she'd made in a long time. "I like that idea. Corn dogs first?"