Chapter 21

PLAYLIST

Medicine by Daughter

Firework by Katy Perry

You'll Be In My Heart from Tarzan

TW: blood, peril, fear of death

"The shoulders are stuck," Paul told them calmly, "but once you get those out its smooth sailing. You can do it. Just a couple more."

A couple turned into twenty minutes, then half an hour. Aziraphale watched in awe as Crowley battled through it all. She was beyond exhausted, but she didn't falter, not for a moment. Aziraphale murmured to her in Latin, "You have overcome so much. You kept our baby safe through terrible things. You can do this, you amazing, amazing creature."

Paul was less encouraging and more pragmatic, knowing that if something didn't happen soon, the situation would get critical fast. "Crowley, you need to push harder, I know you're tired, but we have to--"

"Get her out!" Crowley screamed, tears running down her face. "Cut me! I don't care just save her!"

Aziraphale and Paul shared a horrified glance.

"It's almost over," Aziraphale promised futilely, keeping his voice steady for her sake. "Just keep breathing. Stay with me. I love you so much, don't give up."

"I'm so tired, angel," she whimpered.  "Make it stop. I'm so tired."

"I know, sweetheart,  I know.  Take some slow, deep breaths. You'll get through this." He stroked her forehead soothingly; her skin was cold and clammy. He had seen Crowley kill Nazis, face down Satan, and scream at God during the Great Flood, but he had never, ever seen her this frightened, this fragile. And it terrified him.

"Aziraphale," Paul said tightly, "if you have a miracle, the time is now, otherwise I'm calling an ambulance. Neither of them can handle much more of this."

The angel nodded in comprehension, and spoke to Crowley again. "I'm going to help you, darling. We'll do this together. It's time to meet our daughter."

Crowley opened her eyes and nodded. Aziraphale focused his power on helping their baby move and giving Crowley the strength she needed to push again. She took a deep breath and screamed, a sound full of such agony that it gave Aziraphale goosebumps. He hadn't imagined that Crowley could make such a sound. But there was power behind it, some primal instinct that helped her find more strength, because the baby finally began to move.

"Good!" Paul exclaimed. "The shoulders are almost out, you're so close!"

Aziraphale performed another powerful miracle, pouring all his energy into Crowley as she battled against her own body to bring their child into the world. He would give her everything he had if that's what it took. Crowley let out another feral scream, and her body took over, seizing into one spasm. One way or another, this was the last push.

Then, with one more massive, combined effort, it was all over. A reedy cry filled the air.

"It's a girl!" Paul shouted, perhaps a bit more excited than he should be. He cleared the mucus from the tiny nose and mouth gave the baby a quick once-over. "Holy shit, she's got wings!"

"Crowley, darling." Aziraphale kissed her sweaty cheek as she lay in his arms, panting weakly. "You did it. She's here. Hope is here."

Paul placed her on Crowley's chest, and the new parents saw their baby for the first time. She wasn't crying anymore, but she was squirming and breathing, so that was good enough. Covered in blood and fluids, still tethered to Crowley via the umbilical cord, she was the most beautiful thing they'd ever seen.

"She's so small," Aziraphale whispered. He propped Crowley against the pillows so he could get a better look at their daughter. "I didn't think she'd be so small."

"She's perfect." Crowley smiled sadly, and held out the baby. "Take her."

Confused, he took the baby on instinct. "What?"

"She's an angel, angel," Crowley told him. "She belongs with you."

"Wha—Crowley!" Aziraphale sputtered, holding Hope against his chest. "Are you delirious?"

"An angel needs an angel." Crowley groaned as her stomach clenched again. "Oh, fuck."

"Just the placenta," Paul assured her. "Bear down a bit, Crowley, it shouldn't take much effort."

He applied traction to the umbilical cord, and the whole nasty thing plopped out into the waiting garbage bag. "No matter how many times I see that, it doesn't get less gross," he remarked. Then he clamped and cut the cord. "Hand me the baby, and I'll have a look at her."

Crowley nodded her permission. Aziraphale allowed Paul to examine Hope thoroughly, and helped with her first bath.

"Heart and lungs are working fine," the young man reported. "She's small, but strong."

Grinning, Aziraphale turned to his spouse. "Did you hear that? Our little girl is perfect."

But Crowley didn't answer