Chapter 20

PLAYLIST:

How To Save A Life by The Fray

Hold On by Chord Overstreet

BIG TW: intense, graphic birth, blood, mortal peril

"It would never have gotten done otherwise," Crowley consoled him once she stopped laughing. She closed her eyes to breathe through a contraction. "I think I need to kneel."

Aziraphale quickly spread a towel on the floor and help her drop to her knees. She sighed in relief as the pressure in her pelvis eased.

"That helps," she said fervently. "That helps a lot."

"Lean on me." Aziraphale lifted her arms around his neck. "I've got you."

Together, they swayed back and forth. The contractions were getting more powerful; Aziraphale's miracles didn't make a dent in the pain anymore. Something shifted deep inside Crowley, and she whimpered.

"You are so strong, my darling. You're amazing." He kissed her hair, her cheek, her forehead. "It won't be long now. We'll be holding our little girl."

"I can't wait to meet her," Crowley panted, her face buried in his shoulder. "To see her little wings, and count her fingers and toes."

"Soon. And I'll be right here the whole time."

"Need to move again. Let go."

She leaned forward, resting her forehead on the floor. Aziraphale kneaded the knotted muscles of her lower back, the only thing that seemed to help.

Aziraphale's phone rang. With Crowley's permission, he scrambled out to the hallway to answer. "Paul, where are you?"

Paul didn't waste time with conversation. "If I send you a video of where I am, so you can imagine it, can you miracle me home?"

The angel bit his lip, thinking quickly. "Theoretically, yes."

"Yes," Paul replied firmly. "Talk to you soon."

Aziraphale pressed his phone to his lips, his mind a whirl. Yes, it should work, but transporting took a lot of power, and he'd been casting miracles for hours now. Then he had a thought, and shouted down the stairs, "Muriel!"

~~~

Paul couldn't see. He couldn't breathe, or scream, or move. It was only seconds but it seemed like an eternity. Then he opened his eyes,and instead of a dingy university bathroom, he was standing in a cozy bookshop. He immediately threw up; luckily there was a rubbish bin within close range.

"Oh, my goodness, it worked!" Muriel squealed, clapping their hands. "My first human transport!"

"Holy shit," Paul choked. "I've had 'shroom trips that went smoother than that." He wiped his mouth and tried to display some professionalism. "Updates?

"Crowley's been in labor for fourteen hours," Aziraphale reported. "The contractions are minutes apart, and she's already exhausted."

"I have a medical bag packed, but I didn't take it to Glas--"

Aziraphale snapped his fingers, and a black duffel bag appeared. "Is that it?"

"Yup," Paul squeaked.

Upstairs, Crowley screamed, "Angel!"

Paul and Aziraphale raced up the stairs, leaving Muriel to watch the shop. Crowley was still kneeling on the floor, with a puddle of pink-tinged liquid around her.

"It's worse!" she cried. "I didn't think it could get worse!"

"It's all right, darling," Aziraphale said quickly. "Paul's here. Let's get you in bed."

"Are you feeling more pressure in your pelvis and at the base of your spine?" Paul asked.

"Yes," Crowley whimpered.

"Right, that's good. That's means the baby's in position. Lie down and let me have a look."

Things started to happen very quickly. Aziraphale laid Crowley on their bed while Paul fetched a basin of warm water, and some towels, laying out the sterilized tools he might need. Then he slipped on a glove and examined the demon's cervix.

"You're at ten," he reported. "Guess I got here just in time, huh? This is going to escalate pretty quick, but you can do this, Crowley. Aziraphale, sit behind her, prop her up."

The angel did just that. "Lean on me, my dear," he said, casting a miracle. "I've got you."

Crowley's stomach visibly clenched at another contraction, and she groaned, trying not to scream.

"Spread your knees a little bit more, Crowley," Paul instructed, and she did. "Now, I want you to listen to your body. When you feel the urge to push, do it. When you're ready."

At the next pain, Crowley's aching muscles clenched. She bore down with all her strength, and gave a low groan.

"Very good. Keep going until the contraction is over. Don't forget to breathe."

The contraction ceased after sixty seconds, leaving Crowley breathless.

"That was great," Paul told her. "Do that for every contraction. Focus on moving the baby down."

Crowley barely heard him. She was so focused on what was happening inside her body that she didn't noticed her surroundings. Pain flared again, and again she strained. Her pelvis felt like it was about to shatter, and yet the baby wasn't moving.

"Why isn't she coming?" Crowley groaned.

"It's a tight fit," Paul answered. "But you're doing good, you're already crowning. Listen to your body, it knows what it's doing."

"You're strong," Aziraphale assured her. "This is--"

"If you tell me this is the most natural thing in the world I swear to fuck I will kill you."

"--completely within your capabilities."

"Nice recovery."

The next pain came, and Crowley pushed against the building pressure. Then, as the contraction reached its peak, a release.

"Head's out," Paul said.

"There, you see?" Aziraphale brushed hair away from Crowley's sweaty forehead, casting useless pain-relieving miracles. "It's almost over. After everything you've done for our baby, she's almost there. All that's left is to meet her."

The contractions came one after another, giving Crowley no time to rest in between. Aziraphale mopped her brow with a cold compress,glad she couldn't see the fear in his eyes. She had been through so much already. Did she have the strength for this?