Chapter 9

PLAYLIST:

What About Us by P!nk

Use My Voice by Evanescence

Ignorance by Paramore

TW: implied homophobia, hate crime involving vandalism

In any city, there are communities. Soho was one such place, a small town inside the confines of London. When sirens go off, chances are you would know the person who needed help. That was the case when police cars went screaming past the bookshop at half-midnight. Crowley shot upright, startled awake.

"What the hell?"

"Coppers," Aziraphale stated, still half asleep. "Not our problem. Dear, go back to sleep."

Crowley was already up peering out the hall window. "They're at Ella's bakery."

That got the angel's attention; he sat up. "Is anyone hurt?"

"I don't think so, there's no ambulances. We should go down there," Crowley decided. "Ella doesn't have anyone around here."

"I'll go," Aziraphale said at once. "I'll take my phone, you stay here."

"Not likely."

"All right, then." Aziraphale had learned early on in her pregnancy to pick his battles very carefully. A hormonal demon was a very volatile thing; disagreements either resulted in a shouting match, or Crowley sobbing on the floor, no in-between. He handed her a sweatshirt. "At least bundle up."

They hurried outside and down the block. Coppers swarmed around the bakery while Ella tried to give a statement through hysterical sobs.

"Ella!" Crowley called. "What happened?"

"Crowley, Aziraphale!" Ella ran right into their arms. "Somebody smashed the windows!"

Aziraphale pried the distraught baker off his wife. "Ella, sweetie, take a deep breath. Tell me the whole story."

"I was asleep, and I heard this huge crash, and the alarm went off! I ran down the stairs, and--"

While the angel tried to calm Ella, Crowley crunched over the broken glass to one of the coppers. "What happened?" she said, casting a tiny miracle to make him tell her. She had the energy for that, at least.

"We think it was a hate crime, ma'am. Obviously, the windows and door were destroyed. Some of the graffiti is--" The officer hesitated. "Well, it's not fit to be repeated. "

"Right, well, my husband owns the A.Z. Fell bookshop," Crowley told him. "Let us know if you need our security footage. Is it okay if I bring my car over so Ella can sit in it? It's cold, and she looks like she's about to throw up."

The officer nodded. "We'll take her statement once she's calmed down."

Crowley went back to her husband and friend. "Angel, could you bring the Bentley over so Ella has a warm place to sit."

"Of course," Aziraphale said without hesitation. "I'll be right back."

"Keys are in the kitchen," Crowley shouted after him, although they both knew that the Bentley didn't have keys. Aziraphale waved over his shoulder.

"I'm not cold," Ella said absently. She was staring at the wreck of her bakery with a blank look in her eyes.

"You will be when the shock wears off. You've never been in my car, have you?" Crowley asked, trying to distract her. "1926 Bentley. Absolute mint."