Chapter 24

PLAYLIST:

Safe and Sound by Taylor Swift

TW: mild medical talk, mention of female genitals (she just had a baby after all), self-loathing, PTSD flashback

In Aziraphale's arms, Crowley slept for another eight hours, until Paul arrived the next morning.

"Something to be said for those demonic healing powers, huh?" the intern remarked as he carefully palpated her tummy.

"More like angelic powers," Crowley retorted. "Muriel and Aziraphale saved me. But everything still fucking hurts."

Paul conducted a vaginal examination, despite Crowley's grumbles. "You're recovering remarkably, but I still recommend bed rest for a least a week."

"Can I take a bath?" Crowley interrupted. "That's all I want. I feel disgusting."

"A hot bath is a good idea," Paul agreed. "It'll help with the soreness, and minimize risk of infection. Just move around as little as possible."

The intern left, with promises to return after work. Once he was gone, Aziraphale drew a scalding-hot bath and carried Crowley to the bathroom. She slid into the water with an obscene sound. "Oh, that feelsss amazing," she hissed. "Sssooo warm."

"You snakes and your heat." Aziraphale sat on the floor beside her. "Do you want help washing yourself?"

"No," Crowley said firmly. "I've lost enough dignity without having someone clean my snatch for me. Poor thing'll never be the same."

Biting back a laugh, Aziraphale gave her a flannel with her favorite body wash, and turned his back to give her some privacy. Once she was finished, he poured warm water over her head with a cup, and squirted some shampoo into his palm. She closed her eyes in bliss as he massaged the suds in.

"You're spoiling me," she mumbled.

"Oh, darling, you deserve it." Aziraphale rinsed the shampoo out, and applied conditioner. "One more rinse, and then it's off to bed with you."

"Any other time that would be the start of something," Crowley remarked. "But I can't imagine having sex right now. Or ever, really."

Snickering, Aziraphale lifted her out of the tub and into a towel. In their bedroom, he hunted down a silk camisole and a pair of ratty boxers; she'd had enough of being naked and vulnerable. By then, Hope was awake and hungry again

"She has your appetite," Crowley remarked as the infant began to nurse.

"Oh, very funny."

"I'm glad I get to feed her at all," Crowley confessed. "I didn't think I'd be allowed to have this bond. I thought that...someone like me—a demon—wouldn't be able to—"

"Crowley." Aziraphale walked around the bed and tipped her chin up to make her look at him. "My darling. There is nothing wrong or filthy about you. You are a good, kind, Light being who faced insurmountable odds to bring our little angel into the world. You deserve to be adored and cherished. I hope someday you can love yourself as much as Hope and I love you.:

"I love you, angel," she whispered. "Thank you."

"I love you, too, my wily serpent." He leaned down and kissed away the tears that mingled with the water from her hair. "Let me finish your hair, and then I'll bring you something to eat. You need to get your strength back."

"How about crepes?"

Aziraphale laughed. "Crepes it is."

~~