Chapter Thirteen

"Honey, I'm sure he'll come around." My mom says putting her hand on my shoulder as she tries to comfort me.

I shake my head as the tears continue to fall. She doesn't know what my school life is like, she doesn't see me get bullied, all she sees is this fake smile that I put on my face whenever I come home.

"He won't mom. I know he won't." I whisper as she sighs and takes the seat that Tyson was once in and sat in front of me.

"Aaliyah, I went through the same thing you did when I was your age. Just because your father left, doesn't mean Tyson will too." She says as I nod my head.

My mom smiles and takes my hand from across the table and gives it a good squeeze.

"Wipe that frown of your face and smile. You're too pretty to frown."

"Thanks Mama." I whisper as she just gives me a smile.

Somebody clear their throat, making my mom and I look up from the table and towards the person.

Tyson stood there awkwardly with his hands in his pockets and a small smile on his face.

"Can I speak to you?" he asks looking at me.

I look over at my mom who gives me a smile before standing up from the booth. She excuses herself before walking away from us, leaving us in an awkward silence.

"Can I sit?" He asks pointing at the booth.

I nod my head as he takes a seat across from me. I wipe under my eyes feeling embarrassed that he saw me literallv crvind once again.

"Aaliyah, are you a hundred percent sure that you want the baby?" Tyson asks looking down at the table that separated us. "It's a lot of responsibility and I don't know if we are ready."

"I'm positive Tyson. We created this and I think we should take responsibility." I state standing
up straighter as I fold my hands together. "You don't have to support us, but I would like it if you did."

Tyson nods his head but doesn't look up from
the table. I watch as his fingers run back and
forth, something that I've noticed that he does when he is nervous.

We sit there for a while, neither one of us speaking. I was growing tired of him not saying anything, but I also didn't want to say anything because I didn't want to jeopardize his niceness.

"Okay." Tyson finally says looking up from the table and towards me.

I raise my eyebrow at him as he bites his lip.

"What?"

"I'm taking responsibility. I want to be in my baby's life." He says shrugging his shoulders. "I need to own up to what I have done."

"Thank you, Tyson." I whisper. "You don't know how much this means to me."

Tyson nods his head and stands up from the booth. He shoves his hands into his pocket and rocks back and forth on his heels.

"Just, let me be the one to tell people at school. It'll be better if they heard from me than from you if you know what I mean."

I nod my head understanding what he meant before standing up from the booth as well. I stand awkwardly in front of him as he rubs the back of his neck nervously.

Biting back the tears, I wrap my arms around him and pull him into a hug. He doesn't hug back, which I didn't expect him to, but also because I pulled away faster than when I hugged him.

"Thank you again Tyson. You'll be a great father, I know you will." I say before giving him a smile.

Tyson smiles back before bidding goodbye.

This time as I watch him leave, I don't have the urge to cry, instead I have a smile on my face because he accepted our baby.