Chapter Twenty

"You have nothing to be afraid of Aaliyah."

Cassidy laughs as she loops her arm with mine as we walk up towards her house, which isn't as significant as Tyson's but still significant.

"I know, I can't help it. A lot of people don't like me, and I can't help the feeling that your parents will be the same." I sigh as we walk through her open garage and towards the door that leads inside.

"Well, Wendy Wright is way different than Stacy Bradford Aaliyah." Cassidy laughs as we walk into the kitchen. "That's why they call her the better sister."
I laugh at that comment as I place my bag on one of the barstools next to Cassidy's bag. I didn't want to feel like I was intruding, but Cassidy claimed that I wasn't.

"Do you want anything to drink?" Cassidy asks opening up the fridge. "We have apple juice, milk, and root beer."

"I'll take Apple juice please," I say taking a seat on the barstool that had my bag.

Cassidy takes out the apple juice along with a can of root beer and hands me a small bottle. I thank her as I take it before taking a sip.

It's been a long time since I last had apple juice and to say the least, it was terrific. As she opened her can of soda, heavy footsteps are heard against the tiled floor.
I glimpse over at Cassidy who smirks as she jumps onto the counter, swinging her legs back and forth as a woman walks in wearing a pair of green scrubs. When she sees us, she smiles and raises an eyebrow at Cassidy.

"Aren't you supposed to be in school Cassandra?"

I raise an eyebrow at Cassidy as she shrugs her shoulders and turns to her mom. "Yeah, but Tyson was a dickhead to his baby mama," she says pointing at me.

Cassidy's mom looks over at me and smiles at me. "So you're the famous Aaliyah that my daughter has been talking about," she says walking up to me and holding her hand out.

"I'm Wendy Wright."

"Aaliyah Fox, it's nice to meet you."

Wendy smiles and looks over at Cassidy. "I don't have to be at the hospital until three, I was planning on going shopping do you girls want to go?"

Cassidy shares a look with me, which I reply to with a shrug. Cassidy nods her head and jumps off the counter and wipes her hands on her pants.

"Sure, but if we go to the mall, we're getting pretzels."

Wendy laughs and nods her head. "Fine with me."

"How far along are you Aaliyah?" Wendy asks as we throw our empty pretzel wrappers away.

"That is if you don't mind me asking."

"I don't mind." I smile as we walk towards our next store. "I'm two months today."

Wendy smiles as she takes a sip out of her lemonade. "Really? Have you thought about what you've wanted yet?"

I shake my head as Wendy leads us to the next store.

"I want a boy, but I also want a girl," I reply as I walk up to one of the racks and start flipping through the clothes.

I remember when I was pregnant with Cassidy, I wanted a baby boy." Wendy laughs as we both look at Cassidy who rolls her eyes.

"Yeah and dad wanted to name me Waldo," she says with a shudder.

I laugh as does Wendy. "It was him who wanted to name you that not me," Wendy says as she pats her daughter's shoulder.

"What made you come up with the name Cassandra?" I asked, remembering what her mom called her the not too long ago.

Wendy shrugs her shoulders. "I don't know. I didn't have a name picked out until after she was born."

"Really?" I asked amazed as Wendy nods her head.

"Yep. When I first saw her, I just knew she was going to be a Cassandra." Wendy says smiling at Cassidy.

I watch as the two smiles at each other before walking over to the next stand that happened to be for babies.

As I was looking through the clothes, my hands land on the set of four combo onesies all unisex.

They were a light yellow, purple and a white, all with animals on them. The yellow one had monkeys and bananas, the purple with Elephants and the white hand blue, purple and yellow raindrops.

They were all cute, and they worked for both genders. I would get them, but it's too early in the pregnancy that I don't want to second chance it. There is still a chance I could miscarry.

"Oh, those are cute," Wendy says from behind me. "You should get them."

"Oh, I can't," I say shaking my head. "It's too early in the pregnancy."

"Nonsense," Wendy says waving her hand. "As soon as I found out I was having a baby, I went out and bought a whole bunch of unisex clothes," she says.

I shake my head. "I don't know, what if they don't work out and things go wrong.."

"Honey, nothing will go wrong," Wendy says putting her hand on my shoulder. "If something were to go wrong, you can always bring it back but that's very unlikely."

I nod my head as I stare at the onesies. Cassidy
gives me a smile and takes them away from me.

"Look, how about you buy just these ones until "Look, how about you buy just these ones until you've hit twelve weeks," she says giving me a smile. "It's unlikely to miscarry then."

I bite my lip as I share a look with Wendy and Cassidy who are staring at me with smiles.

"If you don't buy it, I will."

She starts moving it around, taunting me with the classic line, "I know you want to." I roll my eyes but smile anyway when I take the onesies back.

"Fine but just this one until I hit three months."

Cassidy squeals before wrapping her arms around me and pulling me into a hug.

"I knew you would buy it."

I roll my eyes as I pull away. "Whatever, I'm going to go pay for this. I'll be back."

As I walk away, I couldn't help but look down at the clothes in my hands with a smile. It feels so strange to be buying baby clothes but at the same time, it feels good.

It makes everything seem so real now. That I'm
actually pregnant and for once, I'm not either mad or sad that I am.

It makes everything seem so real now. That I'm actually pregnant and for once, I'm not either mad or sad that I am.

I'm actually excited.

I'm going to be a mom.