INTERMISSION OCT 17

AU inspired by this screenshot

1Matthew Winston has never hidden his sexuality from me

1
Matthew Winston has never hidden his sexuality from me. When I met him at that brunch place to discuss the roommate ad he posted, he was very clear that he believes gender is a construct and life is too short to limit who you could love.

I was taken aback when he said those things

I was taken aback when he said those things. Not because they bothered me, okay? I am an open minded man. It was because he said it so easily and so early into the conversation.

He explained his forthrightness as a way to weed out any homophobia. If you cannot accept who he was, then there was no reason to torment each other by living in the same apartment unit.

I got over my initial shock quickly. And told him who he liked or loved doesn't matter to me. What mattered to me was whether he could live with someone who played instruments at odd hours of the day.

After all, I was a math major minoring in music production. And getting those two course schedules to work was a chaotic dance that involved many late nights.

Win - he told me to call him Win - didn't mind. He was an insomniac anyway. And management economics wasn't exactly a course that let you sleep a lot.

Long story short, we became roommates.

Moving in with Win was one of the best decisions I have ever made in life. The rent was low. The apartment was larger than I imagined. And Win is the best roommate and friend one could ever ask for.

It's been four years since I first signed that lease. And every day, I still thank my lucky stars I did. I find that day to be so monumental in my life it's even what I use as a phone password- 1228.

I need to admit though that living with Win has also made me scared.

Not of Win.

But of myself.

There were a lot of times - still a lot of times - when I feared I was actually homophobic and not the chill, open-minded, educated person I believed myself to be.

An example of what I mean?

I have a lot. It would take to much time to enumerate.

Fine. I can give you a couple of examples.