Chapter 1 - Y/N's pov

(A/N : I highly recommend reading the description before beginning, it has some bg info :])

I sit up in bed, it still feels weird having a room completely to myself. While training as scout I had to sleep in a room filled with all the other scouts in training on bunk beds. Hopping out of bed I glanced to my nightstand, where my new, shining golden mask sat, waiting to be used. I picked it up, letting the light shine on it from different angles. I smile lightly, I'd been training for this for as long as I could remember, longing to fill the boots of golden guard. I would fight wild magic, and help the suffering! But most of all, I could show Belos how loyal I can be. Though it might be a bit more difficult, considering..my past and all. A knock came at the door.

'crap!' I thought as I looked down at the undershirt and shorts I was wearing, and tried to yank my ruffled hair out of the knots that my sleeping self had created.

"Y/N?" the voice on the other side of the door was familiar, that of Raine Whispers, head of the bard coven, and my mentor before the decision to pursue life as the Golden Guard.

"Yeah Raine?" I say, fumbling into my uniform and throwing the other clothes beneath my bed. Now in full uniform I pick up the mask again and open the door.

"I'd just like to wish you luck on your first day" they smiled

"Thanks!" I smile "I'll never forget all you taught me, I know it'll come in handy!"

They smile and nod, before bidding me farewell and one last good luck. They walk down the hall and into another room. I look down at the mask in my hand again, then smile and put it on, pulling up my hood over my head. A blonde in a scout uniform walks past and stops in front of me. He isn't wearing his mask, and I can recognize him as the emperor's nephew, Hunter. I'd trained with him. After seeing that I noticed him he scrambles off.

'Strange' I think, before heading to the throne room, where I'd been ordered to begin my day.

The corridor stretches out in front of me, but by now the castle was so familiar. The memory of causing mischief amongst the coven heads before I was old enough to train sparked a small chuckle as I walked. Before I know it I'm standing in front of the throne room, and knocking on the tall door. The sound echos around me.

"Come in" I hear Belos' voice, it sends a shudder through me, his voice was almost haunting, even through I practically worshipped him.

I push the door open, and see the long rug spanning to where Emperor Belos is standing in front of a throne with a huge dark beating heart behind him. I flinched at the sight of the heart, luckily it was hidden by my mask.

"Y/N." the emperor said, hidden behind a mask of his own "Now that you've been presented the rank of Golden Guard, I welcome you to see my face, for I know the titan has big plans for you"

I forgot to breathe for a moment. The titan has plans for me?

"Yes you're destined for greatness" Belos continued, as if reading my mind "You remove your mask first, I will follow."

I took the mask from my face, revealing myself to the emperor. He nodded then removed his mask. He had long pale brown and grey hair, and a scar on his nose. His eyes were a shining blue, and his face was wrinkled with age.

"Thank you, my emperor for trusting me enough to reveal yourself" I thank him

I see him smile "No need to thank me, but are you ready for your first assignment?" he asks

I nod quickly.

"I see you're quite eager" Belos nodded "Thats the enthusiasm we need in the leaders of this coven. Your first assignment is to meet with the new class of scouts in training."

I was surprised at the task, since I was barely out of training myself, but nodded.

"I'm sure they'll be ecstatic to meet you." the emperor continued "Off you go then."

I bow for a moment, then turn and leave the room. I take a breath in and put my mask on. To be honest, I was ecstatic myself. I knew they would all look up to me, long to be like me, as I had when I began my training, despite some bouts of mischief. I knew my family, probably wouldn't be proud of where I was. They ran a group of wild witches, wreaking havoc. The group included the most wanted criminal, the owl lady. All well, she was deprived of her magic because of her curse anyway. I had been rescued from the group at a young age, I still remember some of it, but I'd rather forget. They were horrible people, and the reason I was never fully respected. I knew that now people would just know me as the Golden Guard, which was good enough for me, they didn't have to know what had happened, after all, the past is in the past.