Chapter 21 - Y/N's pov

Once we'd woke in the morning, I'd sent Flapjack and P/N to raid the cafeteria again, maybe find something better than Hex Mix. Not wanting to open the book on grimwalkers again just yet, we'd resulted to rock paper scissors. Suddenly, I heard rustling near the stage. This could be alright, I had changed into the clothes that I got when I was held captive, and Hunter had found an old costume from a play. We both left the little bed-closet, to meet some kid. He was shorter than us, we could take him. He was pointing a staff with a little blue snail palisman on it at us. P/N and Flapjack were here too.

"What are you doing here, Golden Guard, and uh, other guy?" the boy asked

"Wouldn't you like to know?" I said "But rest assured, I-"

A pile of empty Hex Mix and other wrappers, as well as Hunter's satchel and a bunch of other crap from the bed-closet collapsed behind us. I jumped in front of it.

"I'll ask you one more time." the kid said "What are you doing here, Y/N, and...other guy?" he lowered his staff

"I-how do you know my name-?" I was surprised that he knew who I was "Eh it doesn't matter, this is Hunter. That's all I'm telling-"

P/N pulled on my hair "OW- Okay fine" I muttered "Truth is, our living situation has been....compromised---MAYBE. So we just need a place to crash--TEMPORARILY. Hexide was the only place we could think of."

"Howww....vague of you" the kid said "I'm Gus, by the way. Do you know where Luz is by any chance?"

"She's....not with the owl lady?" I said, I wondered how she was doing after.....everything in the emperor's mind.

A voice came over the intercom above us, I guessed it was the principal's "Students, please join me in the gym for an important announcement"

"I'm not sure what you two are going through, but that much Hex Mix can't be good for your stomach" Gus said as he opened a spell circle and some sort of....blue bag fell from it.

He tossed it to me. I opened it, inside was a sandwich, an apple, and an orange. With that, Gus ran off. I split the sandwich in two, and gave the other half to Hunter, as well as the apple. I ate it quickly, maybe the Hex Mix wasn't enough to keep an appetite at bay after all. Hunter finished up too. I opened a spell circle, which showed a picture of the gym, and students gathering.

"This way we can watch them" I explained "They can't see us unless we teleport through here"

Hunter nodded. I looked onto the stage to see Adrian Graye, the head of the illusionist coven. He was talking to the students about, multi-track studies, and the emperor wanting everyone to be branded with a sigil before the day of unity. He talked about a plan to brand them with fake sigils for when a scout came to look them over. A green-haired boy stepped up, and Graye opened a spell circle. Suddenly, right before the boy was branded with the fake sigil, Gus called out,

"Stop!" Everyone turned to him "Don't trust him! He's hiding behind an illusion!"

He opened a spell circle and sent it forward, when it hit Graye he turned into a scout, with a branding glove on his hand. So he was hiding under an illusion. I knew that was too low a performance for Graye of all people.

"Cut!" someone called out, suddenly, scouts were everywhere. I saw Hunter stiffen beside me, even though he knew they couldn't see us.

The real Graye was there too, and started talking to all different scouts, telling them that their performance was bad, and that their illusions were lacking. Suddenly he teleported to Gus and grabbed his wrist.

"And you, well, you just ruined any chance we had of making this....something" Graye said

"You were gonna trick us into getting sigils!" Gus said, trying to free himself

A scout put the branding glove onto Graye's free hand.

"Uh, yeah" Graye said "I work for Belos. Kind of my job"

I flinched

Graye's glove switched to an abomination branding "But lets make sure you can never use your little illusion tricks again, shall we?"

Gus tried backing away "No, No stay back" he squeezed is eyes shut "I said stay BACK" on the work back, his eyes opened, and were glowing bright blue, an illusion cast through the entire gym, I instinctively dashed through the teleportation portal, followed by Hunter.

"How are you doing this?" I heard Graye's voice, I held onto Hunter's hand as we tried to get to Gus.

Soon we found him, I shoved Graye away from Gus, and Hunter grabbed Gus's hand and started running, soon I caught up. The illusion ran all around us, changing from location to location. Suddenly we smashed into a wall, which sent us back, landing on the ground. Luckily Graye and friends had been left far behind. I sat up and rubbed my head, followed by Hunter. Gus stood up.

"Why are we here?" Hunter asked, I supposed he didn't yet realize it was an illusion.

Gus stood up, one of his eyes was still glowing blue.

"Woah Gus" I said "Is your eye okay?"

Gus rubbed his eye, and opened it again, still glowing blue. "My spell is still active!" he said

Hunter stood up, brushing himself off "Well, you're a witch, unspell it."

"No! I don't know how!" Gus said "I've never made one this big before."

"Well, if we're still in Hexide, we should find a teacher" I suggested "Maybe they'll know how to help"

I put a hand to the wall of the illusion, so I knew where I was.

"Y/N, Hunter, why did you save me back there?" Gus asked as we walked "From getting a sigil? Don't those guys work for you?"
"We....owed you" I said "For the.......food"

Hunter walked over to a small set of stairs "Are these real steps or illusion steps?" he thought out loud. He took a step over, only to fall off the stairs "Real.....steps" he said from the ground.

I rushed down the real steps and helped him up.

"You two are helping me stay away from a coven, even though you work for the emperor, because of a sandwich?" Gus said questioningly

Hunter brushed himself off "It was a good sandwich" He said

"No sandwich is that good!" Gus said, behind us as we walked "Come on. If we want to find a way through this, we need to trust each other. What's going on with you two?"

I rolled my eyes. Gus didn't need to know what happened, what Hunter was. He didn't know us, we didn't know him.

"Hey! It's the kid!" I heard someone call out

Both Hunter and I instinctively pulled out or staffs, and I poised my hand, ready to make a spell circle. A scout stood in front of us. 

((A/N - i rlly like sandwiches))