Chapter 10 - Hunter's pov

I stood in front of Y/N's door, next to Raine. They knocked on the door. I heard some shuffling on the other side of the door, then a sound of a lock unclicking. The door opened to reveal Y/N. She wasn't wearing a uniform, but a hoodie and sweatpants, and some very fluffy socks. She didn't have her mask on and was smiling.

She opened the door wider to let us in "Welcome to my humble abode!"

Her room was pretty, the guilt throbbed at me again. Soon enough it would be my room. I shook the thoughts out of my head, she seemed excited, I couldn't make her think I was disappointed, because the only thing I was disappointed in was myself. Raine and I walked in, Y/N flopped back on her bed and sat crisscross, while Raine sat in a chair and I sat on a soft grey rug.

"So I'm assuming you two have met?" Y/N asked

Raine nodded "From time to time"

"Good" she smiled, then shut the blinds on a window behind her. "Raine could you show Hunter how you use your magic?"

Raine nodded. I watched as they whistled softly, the same effect as Y/N's magic set in. The trance of the sudden beauty of everything. I knew that i'd probably never do that myself, since I needed artificial magic. A few things floated, like books. I noticed Y/N dive for a notebook and shove it under her bed. Maybe it was a diary or something. Raine quieted their whistle until the room was quiet again.

"Thats amazing!" I smiled

"Would you like trying to do it that way?" Raine asked

Y/N shot them a look and they immediately changed their sentence "So what do you play?"

A bit of shame and sadness for not having magic of my own nagged at me, along with the same dull ache of guilt. I hesitated then took my harmonica out of my pocket, handing it to Raine. They investigated it, looking it over, then handed it back to me.

"Your harmonica is excellently crafted, now show me what you can do." they said, smiling.

I held the harmonica, though I was slightly apprehensive to start playing. I wasn't very good, I still couldn't move anything other than that shaky flower, and I couldn't really manipulate the object like Y/N and Raine. Y/N seemed to notice my hesitation.

She smiled 'You can do it' she mouthed the words

I felt my face go warm, I closed my eyes and played the same note that I had tried yesterday, this time trying to keep my breath even and smooth. The note came out sounding closer to one that Y/N had played, and a book on the floor floated into the air about a foot. It wasn't shaking, but it was only one object. Slowly I let it reach the ground again. I opened my eyes and looked at Y/N, who was looking at me with a expression that said 'I told you so'

"That's brilliant!" Raine smiled "I can see you've made good progress, you've got a good mentor."

I could see Y/N smile "Well I learned from the best."

Raine chuckled "Anyway, I recommend you try not to focus on what you're doing"

I could tell that I was visibly confused. "What do you mean?"

"Well if you focus to much you'll overthink it. Bard magic is art, it's beautiful, you want to make sure that you don't overthink it, because it isn't meant to be over-thunk" they explained

The words registered, and I thought about what I had just done, I had received encouragement from Y/N, and had been thinking about her while I played. I smiled.

A scroll rung from Raine's pocket, they took out the scroll and read something on it.

"Well I'll be going" they said "I've got something that I'm apparently needed for"

They shot a smile to Y/N "You're doing great with him, keep it up!" They left, leaving me and Y/N alone.

The moment the door shut, Y/N jumped off of her bed and hugged me. I was caught off guard, my face went red hot.

"You were so great!" she praised, then let me go and sat on the floor beside me, she looked at me, noticing my red face, and her own face went pink.

"Sorry-" she said "That was random- I'm just really proud of you"

I paused, I'd never heard those words before. Something about them coming from her made me feel....great.

She changed the subject "Anyway, can we take a picture together for my penstagram?"

I nod, as she takes out her scroll. She snaps a photo of the both of us smiling. She types on it for a moment, presses a button, then I feel my scroll buzz. I pull it out of my pocket, I was being notified that she posted.

I noticed she was looking at my scroll "Aw you added me as a favorite?"

I nodded, slightly embarrassed that she'd noticed. I opened the post to see the photo we'd taken together, and her caption "Me and my awesome best bud!"

So she thought of me as a friend, not just a friend, a best friend? The thought warmed my heart, and my face. I was excited to keep training with her, and determined to improve my magic, so I could impress her. I glanced up and saw her golden mask on her bedside table. The guilt that I'd been able to briefly forget slashed at my heart again, what am I going to do?