Chapter 23 - Y/N's pov

((A/N - i couldn't wait to post this, and i let the urges win. here you go, hope you enjoy this one ))

 We walked behind principal bump, invisible. Anticipation built in me as the principal challenged the guards to let him into the gym, Hunter stood by my side. Suddenly, the barrier of invisibility broke, P/N turned into a staff and I gripped them in my hands, ready to attack. A few more scouts ran from the gym, and the one who seemed to be the leader pointed to us shouting "GET 'EM"

In a flash, the scouts dashed forward, then all hell broke loose. Hunter and I were separated, and I took on my first opponent. The scout was about my height, I wondered if I'd trained with them, before making a spell circle, I'd let them make the first move, so I could analyze how they fought. When they sent water at me, I grinned, wrapping the water in a ring of abomination goo, which I trapped them in, before taking on my next opponent, who held potions, this would be and easy one. I cast another spell circle, raising vines from the ground and wrapping them in the greenery, before slamming them against a wall. The feeling of the battle was exhilarating almost. I noticed Hunter close beside me, sending bolts of lightning-like things at a guard from his staff.

"ENOUGH" I heard the leader say, as he swished his staff through the air "I will not be cowed by a group of students!"

A wave of abomination goo and vines fired at him, I couldn't help but giggle softly. Hunter looked to me, that was the signal. We broke off from the group and busted into the gym. We were sprinting for a moment, but then we slowed, and stopped. There was this blue....orb thing, and a bunch of people on the ground. Slowly we walked forward. Graye yelped, muttering, his head in his hands, and his eyes bright blue like Gus's had been. Amity rushed up behind us.

"Whats going on?" she asked

Willow was here now too "Gus is trapped in his head. And the others are being affected too!"

There was a thumping behind us, I turned around to see one of those abomination robot things that Blight industries had made for the coven. It walked forward, the leader of the group of scouts laughed "I needed a reason to play with one of these!" he said, sounding almost excited.

"I really have to talk to my parents about this" Amity muttered.

I gripped my staff, ready to attack.

"We'll hold him off, Y/N, Hunter, go save Gus" Willow instructed.

I nodded, and Hunter and I turned to face the blue orb, which carried Gus inside. We walked past the people on the ground, before standing just in front of the orb. I took Hunters hand, and put the other to the orb, as Hunter did as well. Instantly, memories played in my mind. The group of wild witches I was originally from, the rows and rows of cracked masks, Hunter being thrown underground in the emperor's mind. I squeezed my eyes shut, I didn't want to remember...but I had to put it behind me, I opened my eyes, to find I was back in the gym, I could tell Hunter was still being affected. I squeezed his hand, after a few moments his eyes changed back to normal. We flinched, walking forward through the blue walls around Gus, I rested a hand on Gus's shoulder, trying to get his attention. The world changed around us, until I saw Gus sitting at a desk.

"Whats wrong with me? Why can't I learn?" he spoke to himself, he didn't seem to notice Hunter and I

Hunter dashed forward "GUS!" he said

The world changed again, this time Gus sat on a ledge, surrounded by a bunch of kids I didn't know, the kids were twirling around, while Gus sat in the middle, his head in his hands.

"I let myself get tricked again" Gus murmured

The world was changing again. Now we were in a room with a mirror with eyes on it.

Gus stood in front of it, speaking still "Everyone thinks I'm the smart one, so why do I keep acting so dumb?"

"Gus can you hear me?" I called out

The world changed again, until we were in the room where Gus had taught us how to calm down by breathing. He was sitting against a drawer, his knees at his chest and his head down.

"I can't even trust myself anymore" he said

I sat beside him, Hunter sat on his opposite side.

"Its...hard when you can't trust yourself" Hunter began

"Hunter and I spent our entire lives believing we were doing something good, for someone good." I continued his sentence

"But it was a lie." Hunter said "and some part of me still wants to believe in that lie" I got where he was coming from, things were so much less....complicated, when I was just training him to be a better scout, and the emperor was the best man ever, working to save the aisles.

"Just like you want to believe your dumb or whatever" I added in "But it's not true! I promise. We wouldn't mess with you."

Gus looked up at me, then Hunter.

"Uh, now, uh, how did that breathing thing go again?" Hunter said, he took a huge breath in, and instead of breathing out, he whistled., then did it again.

Gus and I both laughed, it was pretty funny, and cute. The blue faded from Gus's eyes, and the world faded until we were back in the gym. I stood up, followed by Hunter, then Gus, who seemed to have found something on the ground. Willow rushed up to him and hugged him.

"I'm so glad you're okay!" Willow squealed

Hunter and I stood next to each other still, both of us smiled lightly, glad to see the two friends reunited. We started walked out of the gym, but Willow dragged Hunter and I into the hug.

"Thanks you two" Willow said

My face felt hot, I was awfully close to Hunter wasn't I?

~~~~~~~~~time skippity skip~~~~~~~~~

The scouts and Graye had left, and we had agreed to tell the students and teachers of what was to come on the day of unity, some student had asked me if I'd ever sneezed inside my mask. Now, I sat with Hunter at some sort of base. It was for a group called covens against the throne, or, c.a.t.s. There were other people there, but we'd been separated, because we thought that people would....panic upon seeing us. I stood outside on a balcony, watching the sun set below the skull. Everything felt so mixed up. Hunter came and stood beside me. Something about him seemed......weird though. He was all flustered and his face was pale pink, I didn't think much of it, and continued to look out at the sky.

"Y/N?" Hunter said after a few moments of silence

I looked to him "Yeah?"

"Y/N I- I uh-" Hunter seemed like he was trying to say.....something "UGH WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO SAY"

So I did what the moment told me to. What I'd wanted to do for a really long time now. I put one hand on each side of his head, leaned forward and.....I kissed him. The feeling of his lips against mine..........enchanted me for a moment, before I let go, my face as red as a strawberry.

"I shouldn't have done that- I should have asked- Sorry-" I was speaking fast, afraid of rejection.

Before I could go on, apologizing more, Hunter pulled me back in, and our lips met again. I closed my eyes, sitting in the moment, and loving it. After what I wished was an eternity, but felt like a second, he let go. For a moment, neither of us knew what to say, both of us a blushing mess.

"What I meant to say earlier was uh...." Hunter finally said "Y/N, I really like you. I have for a while. Would you like.....to go out on a date with me sometime?"

I nodded "YES. YESYESYESYES." I smiled, like I couldn't contain my happiness.

Today had it's downsides, but, it was one of the best days i'd ever lived.

((a/n - i'm almost finished with the end of thanks to them and I LITERALLY HAD TEARS IN MY EYES WHILE I WAS WRITING IT *SOBBBBB*

also hope you enjoyed today's chapter :] ))