Chapter 6 - Hunter's pov

(Releasing today's chapter early because I might not be on tmrw, you're welcome folks) 

Y/N's Bard magic was impressive, like nothing I'd ever seen before in all my years in the coven. And she'd said that she'd only remembered part of it? She truly was amazing. I couldn't keep my head off of her, I suppose I'd just been excited for her training sessions.

There was a different reason why I'd accidentally teleported the both of us to the creek. I'd been thinking about taking Y/N there. To like, hang out and talk outside of training or something.

While Y/N had left to go to Bonesborough and search for an instrument with artificial magic that I could use, I was sent on a mission to track a group of wild witches, usually the job to the Golden Guard. I knew that the switch in roles was looming closer and closer, but things could change in that time, Belos could decide that she's a better fit than me, right? Worry nagged at me every day, part of me wanted to tell her everything, but I knew I'd waited too long to go back now, but at the same time, I'd rather tell her myself than have her find out the hard way.

I flew on a spare staff towards Latissa, where many sightings of people with tattoos that marked the logo of this group had been sighted. Being suspended in the air amongst the clouds reminded me of Y/N's Bard magic, and my thoughts circled back to her again, her hair, her eyes her...her scar. Sometimes I worried about where it came from, she'd never told me, only saying that she was fine, and that nobody was in danger. But part of me worried that nobody else was in danger.

WAIT!

Oh Titan. I-I shouldn't have let Y/N go alone, Theo had left the castle yesterday, but I hadn't forgotten what he said. He was going to go after her, and catch her, and it would be all my fault.

In the air, I began to panic, my breathing coming in shorts gasps, my mind not on flying but on Y/N's safety. Suddenly, a bird flew in front of me, I swerved away, saving the bird but, I was tumbling to the ground. Fast. The staff had been knocked from beneath me and was titan knows where by now, I saw the boiling sea beneath me, coming closer and closer, until I splashed into it. For barely a second I felt it stinging at my skin, then my vision went dark.

--

I awoke in a semi-dim room, no beneath the night sky. I was...alive?

"Y/NNNNNNN!! You're BOYFRIEND is awake!" the voice that spoke was shrill, but from what it said Y/N was here. Boyfriend?

"Shut it, bird-tube" I heard Y/N say

I was sitting there for a moment before I heard footsteps running towards me, then Y/N was right in front of me, wrapping me in a hug.

"Don't ever do that again." she said, she sounded fragile, vulnerable..

After a few seconds she let me go, and I sat up. I saw her face now, her mask was pulled up onto her head and her face was tear-stained. She'd been worried, really worried. Guilt rose in my chest, she'd been upset, because of me. I felt tears rise in my eyes.

"I'm-I'm sorry I worried you, I was being stupid, I should have been paying more attention to my flight and-" I could feel my breathing quickening again and tears rolling down my face.

She put a hand on my shoulder. "Hey, you're good. What matters is that you're alive, barely."

At that moment I felt what I'd presumed to be burns nagging at me, and noticed four other people.

"The owl lady?" I said recognizing her and her little dog.

The other two people standing there, well I'd only call one of them a person. It was the bird-tube I'd heard Y/N yelling at. The fourth was a human, a human?

Y/N nodded "After I found you a harmonica, I went back to the castle to show you, when you weren't there I'd assumed you were still in Latissa, but hours went by, and thats when I decided to search, I came across these people who were supposedly trash hunting in some dead creature when they saw you drop into the sea, and rescued you."

The Owl Lady piped into the conversation "Before Goldie-"

Y/N glared at the The Owl Lady "Call me that one more time, I dare you."

"Before the Golden Guard arrived" The Owl Lady corrected herself "We dragged you out of the sea, but you'd taken quite the beating, were barely alive. You were somewhat conscious, kept asking for some 'Y/N' "

I couldn't recall this, but it was no wonder why.

"You wouldn't let us bring you into the house so I performed a few healing spells on you out here instead. Then Goldie-" Y/N glared at her "Then the Golden Guard came looking for you, seemed really upset and scared, she was about to test her luck of falling into the boiling sea to 'share the pain', when you woke up."

I could see that Y/N had turned away, her face a pale shade of red.

I tried stumbling to my feet, but immediately tripped and fell.

"Woah, slow down!" Y/N said, returning her hand to my shoulder, I don't think you're exactly, strong enough yet."

I stood up, with her assistance, and as she propped me up, got onto the back of her staff.

Once she'd gotten onto the staff herself she put her mask back on, and turned to the Owl Lady "My thanks to you for saving him. I say that on behalf of the Emperors coven" She turned back to me "Hold on tight, I'm not sure how well you can balance right now"

I nod, holding onto her, she stiffens lightly at the touch, but relaxes after a moment, the fluttering feeling returns, but I shake it off as the staff rises into the air and we begin to fly back to the castle. She doesn't talk, doesn't ask any questions about what caused me to fall, which I appreciated, because I wasn't sure I was ready to admit that I was worrying about her when I fell. She'd probably go on about how she can protect herself...

The stars shined in the sky but I stared at the ground below us. She was flying perfectly smooth, based on her silence she must have been thinking, but she didn't let it distract her, let alone take over her entire head and cause her to fall into the boiling sea....

I felt so stupid for falling. And what if Y/N thought I was stupid too? On top of that I hadn't been able to raid the group of wild witches in Latissa. I was such a failure, and yet I still had to take her place. The guilt clouded my brain again, as we flew through the night.