Chapter 17 - Hunter's POV

(( A/N - 

*dropkicks chapter at you*

have an extra one today to make up for the gap- ))

 Y/n seemed so cold. It made my heart shatter. I wanted to kiss her. I'd let myself accept it. I wanted to spend time with more than anything, but she'd been distancing herself. I'd let her stay in her old room, while I'd made myself a spot on the floor and brought in my trunk. Nobody objected, I was their superior now. I had a mission at the night market tonight, Y/N had agreed to come. She flew on the back of my staff, with P/N on her shoulder, she still didn't have a cure for her curse, or P/N's. She hadn't adjusted to it well. She kept forgetting and trying to cast spell circles, only for them to crumble in front of her. It made me feel bad for her, I wouldn't know what it felt like to loose my magic, I never had any in the first place, so naturally I wouldn't have any magic to loose. As we reached the night market, we landed. She was wearing a scout uniform, and I wore my new golden guard uniform. The guilt stayed a dull ache in the back of my head, slowly tearing away at me. We got off of the staff and started walking in silence.

"Teeth! Get your teeth!" I heard a vendor call "We got all varieties and qualities!"

"I even do trades" I turned to Y/N, a little purple demon had grabbed her shoulder, she turned to look at the thing.

The demon's four eyes widened as he realized who he was talking to "Oh, I mean, why would I trade teeth? That's illegal and unsanitary! But I mean if you're interested-"

I noticed three cloaked people walking towards an alleyway, presumably the people we'd been sent after. I tapped Y/N's shoulder and pointed. She nodded and we followed the people.

"We think that they're going to invade the emperor's mind with wild magic" I explained to Y/N

She nodded again, not saying a word

We stood, hiding as one of them drew a circle, while the other, who must have been a bard, played some instrument. The circle extended to several, and one of them pulled out a potion, drawing a spell circle over it. We ran out to meet the criminals.

"Halt!" I said "For crimes against he emperor you are under arrest!"

I pointed my staff at them, but then I heard someone.

"Y/N!!!" they called out and jumped up behind Y/N

The human! They looked to Y/N "Can I bug you with a few questions?"

The bard blew into their instrument again

"No! NO! Stop!" Y/N called out to the criminals "I forbid you to flee!"

She took off her mask, the criminals had left "HUMAN. Do you know what you've just done?"

I took off my mask too.

She took a step towards the human, and I heard a crack under her foot.

She looked down to the potion the criminals had been mixing broken on the ground.

For a moment everything was still, then the circle we were standing on illuminated in gold light, surrounding us and blinding me. I opened my eyes in a hallway, there were portraits on the wall, the human was there, and Y/N too. P/N and flapjack seemed to have vanished, and I didn't have my staff. Great. All of us were completely powerless. I heard Y/N yelling at the human, I picked up that her name was Luz.

"Well now that I'm in his mind, I can learn the truth for myself!" I heard Luz say

What was she trying to do? Y/N looked angry