Chapter 20 - Hunter's pov

Y/N and I stood in inside the entrance of Hexide. It had been locked, but she had her magic back, so she teleported us in without a problem. I stared into the building, I felt so lost. My life had been planned out for me, handed to me on a silver platter, but it was all a lie. And I was some sort of creature on top of that. I felt Y/N's hand on my shoulder.

"You alright?" she asked

I nodded "Could we see if......they have a school library?" I asked "I.....wanna look into something."

"Of course" she said "Whatever you need, I know everything must be..........harder for you"

My hands were shaking a bit, and Y/N took one in her's. It made my face go warm.

"Here I'll bring us to the library" she said, made a quick spell circle, and we were there. She looked around and found a puffy chair, flopped onto it, and was asleep almost instantly. She looked.............so at peace. P/N landed on her and curled up, chirping softly.

I'd like nothing more than to curl up beside her and forget everything, but I had a mission. To find out what I was. I searched through non-fiction, for the letter G. Grimwalker. I came across an entire section full of books about grimwalkers. I picked out a few that seemed pretty thick, and detailed. I stuffed them into a satchel, and returned to Y/N. She stirred a bit, and opened her eyes about halfway.

"You done?" she asked

I nodded

"Alright I think I know a place" she said, opening another spell circle, it was a bit crooked, I could tell she was tired, it only now hit me that I was too. But the tiredness was always there, at the back of my mind. It didn't really matter. We stepped through it, it reminded me of stepping through the portraits in the emperor's mind. We stood in front of a door that said 'Closed for repairs'

"It's been closed for years now, I think they abandoned the project, so we can stay on the wings of the old stage" Y/N suggested

I nodded in agreement, and followed her up past scaffolding and other dusty building stuff. We walked behind the curtain and there was an empty expanse of flooring, only occupied by dust.

"I can't let myself rest until this place is the most comfortable it can be" Y/N smiled, I wasn't sure if it was real, or if she was just trying to make me happy, but I smiled back.

"ALRIGHTY" she said, and grabbed a broom. "You just chill, read those books of yours"

I nodded as she ran through the floors, with the broom, kicking all of the dust into a corner. I sat down, I admired how she could just look on the bright side of things, even though it seemed like all hope had been lost.

Once she'd finished, she went through a few shelves and pulled out piles of blankets.

"The school's emergency supply, in case of, emergencies, like if they're stuck in the school. Which, technically, we are!" she said, she threw the blankets into what must have used to have been a closet for the props for school plays, but was now empty. It was large enough for both of us to sleep in, with room to spare. She managed to find some pillows too, and chucked them into there. She started arranging them into two little beds.

Once she finished she looked to me "Okay I'm gonna go raid the cafeteria, will you be alright for, I dunno, ten minutes tops?"

I nodded, and she teleported away.

I went over to one of the beds she'd arranged and set down my stuff. I looked down at my uniform. I'd ditched my cloak at the owl house, but I couldn't wear this anymore. I didn't want to. I went through where Y/N had found the blankets and pillows, inside were old costumes from plays. I found a blue cloak, a green top, and indigo pants. That would do for now. Anything but that uniform. I changed into the old clothes, and stuffed the uniform as far back into the storage compartment as I could. I turned and looked around. It was awfully dark. I still had a few of the glyphs with me too. They were all light, the ones that Luz hadn't used when she helped us out of the emperor's mind. I put my hand to a few of them, and little bulbs of light began to hang in the air. They were beautiful. I returned to my 'bed', where I had set my satchel, and took out my harmonica. I fiddled with it in my hands. I looked deeper into the bag, where I had Y/N's harmonica too. I'd brought it just in case she'd need it in the mission.......but since we weren't going back, it was good I'd thought to bring it. I heard Y/N's spell circle open and almost jumped, stuffing my harmonica back into my satchel. She was carrying a bunch of Hex Mix, some cookies, two ice creams, and little boxes of apple blood. She threw an ice cream my way and I caught it. She set down the other stuff, and opened her ice cream. I opened mine, I realized how hungry I was.

We leaned against the wall, opposite each other.

"I like what you did with the light glyphs" she commented as she ate her ice cream

"Thanks" I said, with a light smile, I finished off my ice cream quickly, and started a small pile for trash.

Y/N put the wrapper that had been around her ice cream in the pile, then came to sit next to me, leaning on me.

"I...........this is really scary" she murmured "Everything we've ever known........."

I wrapped an arm around her, I couldn't think of anything to say, I was just as upset and scared as she was.

I hesitated "Well.....whatever I am, would you like to find out together?"

I felt her nod, and I grabbed a book from my satchel, titled 'Grimwalkers: A history'

I opened the book, dust rose from it. Suddenly, Y/N stiffened.

"Whats wrong?" I asked, worried

She looked like she was staring at something that wasn't there.

"You mean you don't see him?" she asked "I thought he was visible to everyone."

I shook my head.

She turned to the invisible being "You can make yourself visible to others, and I know it Belac, if thats even your real name. Make yourself visible to him. What do you mean it'll interrupt the order? I don't give a crap! Don't you disappear-"

"Who-?" I said, confused

"Belac. He's a spirit that's been coming to me for a little while now, giving me advice and such." she explained.

Y/N could see a spirit? She really could to anything.

I thought about saying something, but then opened my book, and began reading it out loud.

"Grimwalkers are constructed with galderstones as their main power source, or heart" I began, putting a hand on my chest, where the galderstone must sit. "Grimwalkers are usually constructed as a clone, in a sense, of someone who lived before.. Though grimwalkers will usually have magic, it depends on the item, or creature that is being cloned."

Y/N wrapped her arms around me, and to be completely honest, I needed it. Knowing I was just some clone. I felt her breathing slow, and I set the book down and leaned against her, letting myself slip into sleep as well.

((A/N - Merry christmas!! <33))