Chapter 22 - Y/N's pov

Hunter teleported forward towards the scout, knocking them over, abomination goo grabbed onto his staff, taking it from his hands and trapping him.

"Hey-!!" i said, ready to free him.

A scout wrapped Gus and I in plants. Was this the end? Would we be taken back to the emperor? Would Hunter die?

The scout looked me over, then Hunter "Aren't you the golden guard, and the old golden guard?"

The other scout stood up "Seriously? Dude, what the heck? We're on the same side!"

"Our deepest apologies sir, ma'am." the first scout said, freeing both Hunter and me. "The emperor sent out a search party for you two. He's been worried sick!"

"Y-You don't say" Hunter said, shrinking back

Flapjack started trying to free Gus.

"I'd be honored to escort you two back to the castle" one of the scouts said "I'm sure the emperor would be thrilled to know you're okay."

I walked to stand beside Hunter, I could tell how uncomfortable he seemed.

"Say, why aren't you guys in uniform?" the other scout asked

"I-" I tried to think of something

A burst of fire flew from behind us, and Gus dashed past

"Follow me!" he said

We ran after him, leaving the scouts behind, going through another wall of illusion. We were in another room now, breathing hard, though Hunter's breathing was doing that thing where its get....quick and.......raspy. He started pacing.

"Oh titan! He's looking for us! He'll know we're here! We gotta run! We gotta hide" He grabbed his hair and shrank against a wall, he was stuttering, not really making any sense now. I walked over and sat next to him, wrapping an arm around him. I was just as scared to be honest, but he didn't need me to make things worse.

"Try to breathe" Gus sat on the opposite side of Hunter "Like this" Gus breathed in, putting up a finger every, second, about, until he had four fingers up, then exhaled, putting a finger down each second, he did it a second time, this time Hunter joined him, and a third, where I tried too, it did help to quiet my thoughts, my horror.

"Did....you guys run away from the emperors coven?" Gus asked

I nodded, not saying anything.

"Why?" Gus asked

I opened my mouth to say something, but I thought better of it, and shot Gus a glare.

"Not too long ago" Gus said "When I showed a little talent, and started taking more advanced classes, it always felt like anyone who wanted to be my friend had an ulterior motive. Until I met Willow, and, eventually, Luz and some others." Gus got up and touched some photos on the wall "So, yeah, not everyones great, but not everyone's bad either, you know?" He turned back to face us again. "For what it's worth, you can trust me. I promise not to mess with you."

"Thats not worth anything" I said, eyes narrow "Stop acting foolish."
"Alright toughie, lets keep moving then." Gus said

Hunter and I stood up and followed Gus out of this part of the illusion. We came through to a forest, then into a....hall at hexide?

"Is this....real?" Hunter asked, looking around

Gus touched a trophy and chewing gum stuck to his hand "Bleh" he said "Yeah, we made it through the illusion!"