Chapter 2

CHAPTER TWO

I walk into Mrs. Cormier's math class first period, on a high from my girls pumping me up for this weekend's festivities. And the second I step foot in the door I feel this overwhelming urge to turn and run back out. I get chills that run up both arms and a cold sweat starts on the back of my neck. I look around trying to figure out where or why I am feeling the way I am feeling, but I just see the normal kids I go to school with and nothing out of the ordinary. "So, weird." I mumble under my breath as I take my seat. I shiver as the sensation passes and shake my head completely confused as to what just happened. I sit through the next 2 periods in school extremely uneventfully and run out as soon as the bell rings after 3rd period to the lockers to see my girls huddled up whispering. "What's with all the whispering?" I say as I walk up to the locker and put my books away. "Quick question?" Addi says. "Ok, I am all ears, cause I might have a quick answer for ya." I replied. "So, did you hear about the new kid that is supposed to be moving here in a week?" asked Gabs. "No, why would I have heard we have fresh meat coming to the school before he ever got here?" I answered. "Oh, yeah, ok um he was here today, touring the school during 1st period. Apparently he is super gorgeous. At least that is what I was told." Gabi squeaks out. She has a tendency to stammer and drone on if you don't stop her. I hold up my and give her this look of questioning. "Did you say first period? Like do you know where he was right before the first period started?" I say, uneasily. " Bing" the first bell chimes for 4th period and as she is running down the hall Gabi yells, "Yeah Mrs. Cormier's classroom." My stomach hits the floor. What the hell, there is no way, what happened to me in the first period was because the new kid was just in there. What is really happening here. I am left to wonder until lunch when I can talk to my girls again.

The final bell chimes as I slide into my desk in 4th period science, I absolutely hate this class. Not only is it my worst subject but it is the only class I have with Declan, and I sit right next to him more often than not as we are usually the last ones in class. I can not wait to graduate so I can finally be away from him. I am sitting in my chair looking at my text book as I hear Declan running into the room and flying into his chair. "Late again Mr. Stonewall? That is the 3rd day in a row. Looks like I will be seeing you in detention after school." Mr. Anderson says as I snicker. "Oh, I wouldn't be laughing at him if I were you Miss Cade, you barely made it yourself. Would you at least try and be on time for this class?" he questioned. I just sat there smiling and shaking my head. But in my head I was thinking no, I hate this class. I side eye a view of Declan, his face all red in embarrassment. I see him start to glance my way and quickly look down at my papers. "Ok class I hoped you studied as this test is worth over half your grade." I hear Mr. Anderson say as he is passing out the exam. He gets to me and says "Now, Raven, if you even hope to graduate and not have to take your senior year again you need at least an 82 percent on this exam." "No problem Mr. A, I got this!" I say nervously. I look down at this gigantic test and realize that I am utterly screwed. As I stare at the test I get this strange feeling again. It is almost stifling, like a panic attack only bigger. My hands start to sweat and my insides start burning. I don't know what is happening to me. I bring my hands up to my face trying to will the sensation away, and out of nowhere this voice booms in my head. I looked around quickly to make sure no one else heard it too. "Concentrate!!!!! You know this! Look down at your paper and do your work!" I visibly jumped. Declan looks at me like you freak, what is wrong with you. I shook it off and looked down at my paper and it was like a flood gate of knowledge came pouring in from only God knows where and I started answering questions I did not think I would know. By the time the bell rang I was finishing with the last question and completely baffled by what just happened. As soon as I left Mr. Anderson's room the air felt different again. Purer, cleaner, almost light. It is so difficult to explain. It felt like someone lifted a 1000 pound weight off my chest and I could breath for the first time. I was almost dizzy.