Chapter 8

Sitting straight up on the couch, I flung the blankets off me and sprinted to the sound of the scream that woke me from my dream. I ran out the back door to find Nina on her knees in the yard, sobbing. I ran to her side and wrapped my arms around her.

Out of breath and scared for my life I asked her, "Nina! What on earth! Are you ok? What is happening?"

She slowly turned her head from the place she had been staring at and turned her head toward mine and what she said turned the blood in my veins to ice.

"Raven, he told me to tell you by the end of the month he will see the light leave your eyes as he takes us one by one. He said that you are his and he is coming for his payment." Nina said in a slow almost hypnotic speech. I shook her hard. Screaming at her to wake up. Looking around I saw Blaze and Declan starting to run toward us, I shook my head no and Blaze grabbed Declan's arm and pulled him back into the shadows.

She shook her head, looked at me, her eyes starting to focus. She started to look around with confusion and worry. She asked me how she got outside and what she was doing because she couldn't remember a thing. I just told her never mind any of that and I pulled her up to her feet, my body still cold and shaking, hers pale and clammy. I started looking around the yard thinking that I would see him, or whatever was standing there waiting for me. But all I saw was a Blaze's red eyes slowly sinking back into the bushes.

The bond must be extraordinarily strong. He must have just flown here when he felt my fear. It is nice to know that he is there when I need him. I sighed heavily as I helped Nina lay back down on her portion of the couch. I tenderly kissed her forehead and whispered that I loved her in her ear as I stroked her hair. Shortly after, I could tell by her breathing, she was asleep. Suddenly, a loud thump came from my bedroom. My eyes got wide, and I really hoped it was Blaze and not some creature trying to kill me.

I ran up the stairs as fast as I could and threw the door to my room wide open. Not quite sure of what I would find. But there he was. Blaze... I sighed. I ran into his waiting arms, tears streaming down my face. I was crying so hard as he held me tight, the red and gold sparks flew around us. He ran his hand down my hair and said,

"Shhhh, I know. We heard the whole thing. We felt your fear and rushed right over here. Nothing will ever happen to you as long as I am around, nothing." He pulled me over to my bed and we laid down, I don't know how long we laid there or how long he held me like that, all I remember is waking up and having all the girls looking at me like I had gone crazy.

"Umm, why are you up here?" Gabi said. I looked around and the realization of what happened last night came back into focus.

"I don't know how I even got up here?" I said trying to look confused. "I must have had a bad dream and just came here for comfort." I said looking at Nina as she looked at me with wide eyes. I slowly nodded at her, so she knew that last night was no dream. She looked down at the floor and almost looked like she was going to cry. I stood up off my bed and turned around towards the window and saw just a flash of black hair and red eyes, relieved that the girls didn't see him I turned around and asked them if they were hungry.

They all screamed yes, and we walked downstairs, and I started making biscuits and gravy, while Nina cooked up the eggs.

After breakfast we were sitting in the living room trying to figure out what to do on our last day before we went back to school, when the phone rang. Addi jumped up to grab it, it never really matters who answered the phone in our house, everyone knew everyone around here.

"Hello?" Addi said in her adorable squeaky voice. We all sat and stared at her as her face turned bright red and she dropped the phone on the floor. We all rushed to grab the phone to see who could have done that to our girl. She never got embarrassed. Addison was the most outspoken, and definitely, was not shy. She picked up the phone and ran out of the room. Of course, we followed...like how could we not.