Chapter 6

Sitting at the counter downstairs in the kitchen, licking syrup off my fingers I try and decide whether I am going to tell the girls what happened in my dream and in the shower. I thought about it for a minute and decided that I would keep this information to myself. I really needed some time alone so I could go through that freaking book upstairs. I wonder if the girls would be upset if I asked them to let me be for a few hours.

"Hey, RJ?" Gabi questions. "Listen you had a rough night and the girls, and I talked all morning, and we think you could use some private time." Whoa, it's like they read my mind.

"What? But what about the rest of the plans we had this weekend?" I said.

"Well, we aren't going to be gone all day goofy, just a few hours. We have to go get some things from home and Nina wants to run down to see Rue again. Plus, we figured while we were out, we could pick up some coffee and beignets. Sound good? Give you time to decompress?" Gabi said.

"Oh, that does sound amazing! Thanks guys, you really know what I need when I need it! You are all amazing!" I muttered, hardly believing that they would do this normally we are all connected at the hip. If one of us goes through something, we all go through it. I guess they just kind of knew I wasn't ok and needed some time to sort out my head.

Twenty minutes later they were all yelling goodbye as they walked out the front door. The second the door shut I was up the stairs to my room; I grabbed the book and went and sat down in my reading nook by the window. My window overlooked the front of the house so I could see if someone pulled into the driveway. I had a stash of soda and water up here so if I got thirsty, I would be ok, and no way after that amazing breakfast was, I going to be hungry anytime soon.

Holding the book in my hand, the sun was shining through the window, and I could see the details of it. The cover looked like my stone; it glimmered in the sun's rays. Amazing, I said under my breath. I ran my hand over the cover of the book, it was cool to the touch and smooth. I was so nervous to open it. I couldn't understand why I was so scared. Come on, it's just a book Raven, get over yourself. Ugh, fine...here we go.

I cracked open the book and turned the first page, expecting there to be a publisher or something but no it was blank. I started to flip through the pages, they were all blank. What the fuck! Are you serious? How? I don't understand, how is this book blank? I could have sworn it held the secrets I needed. I turned the book over in my hands to look at the back, nope nothing. Just as I got to close the thing, I cut my finger on the edge of one of the pages.

Ouch I say, I jerk my hand up to my mouth, but not before a drop of my blood hits the front of the book. "Crap, now I have ruined this book.... now what am I going to......" Out of nowhere the book started to shimmy, and light up. I scream and drop the once wordless book down on to the floor. I looked down and could not believe what I was seeing.

There lying on my floor, open, was the book. And where once no words were, now had been replaced by an entire novel full of words, pictures, and diagrams. That is not what scared me the most. What scared me the most was that on top of the very first page were the words....

HELLO RAVEN JAMES CADE, KEEPER OF THE FIRE! How...what...what was happening. I slowly reached down and picked up the book, my hands shaking, my stomach in knots, I was on the verge of either puking or screaming I didn't know which one. Holding the book in my hands, something washed over me.

Like this warmth, an internal heat spread throughout my body. Starting at my hands working its way through to my feet. Unlocking something deep down within me. I felt more powerful, stronger than I ever had before. I felt like I was floating off the floor, I threw my head back and closed my eyes letting the feeling rush through me like lava flowing out of a volcano. Not daring to look around in fear I might be actually up off the ground. I feel myself starting to cool, to sink back to earth as if someone was pulling on me tethering me to the ground.