7 - Decision

Silence stretched and grew thin.

Then Shinso put a hand on Izuku's forehead and wrapped the other around the back of his neck.

His gaze flew to his boss, tilting his head up and the concern he saw in the man's expression almost did him in.

Shinso said, "You have a headache."

Violet warmth began to flow from the man's hands, infusing Izuku's head and spreading through his body, easing pain away.

"Oh gosh, I had no idea you could do that," he said with a sigh. "That feels so good."

When Izuku's knees sagged, Shinso caught him and pulled him into his arms and held him close.

"I'm afraid I can't do anything about the heartache."

Izuku's mouth trembled. Shinso must have read misery on his face like a road map. He rested his head on the man's shoulder.

"Aren't you supposed to yell at me for not giving you two weeks' notice?"

"How about I don't and we'll just say I did," Shinso rubbed his back. "Deal?"

He sniffed and nodded as he wrapped his arms around Shinso's waist.

Shinso's age was indeterminate. He could have been anywhere from 35 to 135. There was something stern and ageless about him in repose and his aura carried a hint of violent secrets, so Izuku had always put his money on older.

He'd had a flaming crush on Shinso for years. Usually he enjoyed it. It was a comfortable indulgence, made all the more so, because he knew himself that he would never act on it.

There had been a frisson of awareness the moment they laid eyes on each other.

Shinso bore a low-level hum of Power that pulled at Izuku's bones and he recognized what it was. He carried a glamour that helped him pass for human which was very similar to Izuku's and the other half-breeds who camouflaged themselves.

He wasn't sure what Shinso was but he guessed part Elven.

Izuku knew Shinso had no idea what he was either, and because the man didn't pry, he had tolerated the speculative glances Shinso had given him at the beginning of their acquaintance.

One of the things he appreciated most about his relationship with Shinso was that they didn't ask each other questions that were too personal.

After the first couple of months of wariness, they had relaxed in each other's company, having come to a tacit understanding. They both knew they had things that were better left hidden in the shadows. They were both content to leave them there.

Shinso began to bury his fingers and comb through the strands of Izuku's hair. "Did Neito have anything to do with this? You haven't seen him since you broke up with him, have you?"

He was shocked at how good it felt to have Shinso stroke his hair. Going boneless, he turned his face into Shinso's neck.

The man smelled like warm, virile male and green growing places. It felt so good to be held by a strong, steady man.

For a few moments, Izuku allowed it to banish his chill as he pretended he belonged in Shinso's arms and that he was safe.

What a dangerous, stupid pretense.

Izuku stiffened and pulled out of his arms. "Yes, I have seen him, and no, it wasn't romantic. Neito has contributed to this," he admitted, not willing to lie, not only because he cared for Shinso but also because he had never been able to figure how much truthsense Shinso had. "But it's complicated."

Shinso strolled to close his office door. He leaned against it and folded his arms. "Okay, so I'll get it uncomplicated. Just tell me where he lives."

Alarm flared.

"No! You've got to swear to leave him alone."

Shinso cocked his head, regarding Izuku with far too much acuity for his comfort. "Why? You don't still care for him, do you?"

"Gosh, no!" Izuku scratched at his head with both hands and then rubbed his face. "That isn't it at all. Look, you don't understand because you don't know anything, I get that. And I can't explain it to you. I shouldn't have even come to say goodbye. This was a big mistake."

Izuku gestured at him to move from the door.

Shinso didn't budge. Only then did he realize the man's position at the door had been deliberate.

He huffed, angrier at himself than he was at Shinso. He had to start getting smarter real fast, or he was going to be barbecued.

Shinso caught and held his gaze, the man's eyes going stormy. "Just tell me what kind of trouble you're in," he said slowly and deliberately. "And I will take care of it. I won't ask questions you either can't or don't want to answer. All you've got to do is tell me what's wrong."

Just like that, his panic was back, only this time, it was for Shinso.

He leaped forward and grabbed his boss by the shoulders. "You listen to me." Izuku tried to shake him but Shinso's body was rigid with tension. Well, that, and Shinso's body has more muscles than him.

This situation and the stubbornness in his boss' face made Izuku snarl. "I mean it. You have got to take me seriously. Something bad had happened and I'm not telling you about it. I'm leaving and that's that."

Still watching him, Shinso took Izuku's hands from his shoulders, wrapped them together and held them against his chest. "Izu, we've known each other for nearly five years, and we've respected each other's privacy very well, up until now. Whatever else you are, I know you're a smart cookie- "

"You say that to me with a straight face after I fell for Neito. What a joke," Izuku said. He tried to jerk his hands away, but Shinso wouldn't let go.

"You made a stupid mistake. That doesn't make you stupid," Shinso said, crushing his hands against his chest until Izuku felt them throb. "I've seen you watching how things work around here. Do you think I don't have contacts or influence? Let me help you."

Izuku stopped struggling since he wasn't able to get loose anyway. "I know you have influence. There's got to be lots of reasons why Brain Wash has such a large loyal clientele of half-breeds and why you talk with so many of them back here in your office. And I'm sure there's got to be a lot of interesting conversations during your Monday night poker games. Judging from other visits and back door deliveries, I'm also quite sure you have contacts from the Elven domain, and Gods only knows who else."

"Then you should know I can help you," Shinso said. He seemed to realize he was hurting Izuku and loosened his hold. "All you have to do is let me."

Izuku rolled his eyes. He knew Shinso was stubborn, but this was ridiculous.

"You are still not listening to me. You. Can't. Help. Me."

He turned his hands over and clasped Shinso's. "We're still not going to talk about it, but just think for a minute, will you? Dragon?" he curled his hands into claws. "Rowr? Me leaving town?"

Shinso whitened as he stared at Izuku. "What did you do?"