44 - Fire On The Plain

For a few seconds, it seemed nothing happened.

Then something flared and flowed out of Izuku, passed through his palm and entered Katsuki through the open wound.

The man's head fell back. He gasped as he swayed on his knees. Katsuki's Power roared in response.

Izuku swayed, dizzy from the transference, then Katsuki shimmered and expanded so fast, he fell on his back. He struggled to prop himself up on his elbows, staring up open-mouthed at the appearance of the enormous dragon who stood over him.

Oh gosh, Izuku had imagined what Katsuki must look like. He had caught that one glimpse of his shadow flowing over the beach.

Nothing could have prepared him for the impact of the real thing. Katsuki had to be the size of a private jet.

He was varying shades of reddish brown which resulted to bronze that had an iridescent glint in the sunshine. His wide, heavy-muscled chest was right overhead.

Izuku's head bobbled back and forth as he took in the long legs planted on either side of him. The bronze color darkened to black at the ends of his legs.

Katsuki's feet had curved talons that had to be the length of Izuku's forearm. His body narrowed to powerful haunches and long tail.

Izuku stared for a frozen moment at the slit in the sheath of thick bronze hide between Katsuki's hind legs, covering the region of his genitals. There didn't appear to be any part of him that was vulnerable.

Massive shadows unfurled across the ground.

Katsuki had opened his wings and mantled like an eagle.

Izuku's body rediscovered how to move. He scrambled backward on hands and feet, scuttling like a crab.

Katsuki arched his long serpentine neck. He tilted down a horned triangular head that was the length of Izuku's body so that he could look at him with eyes that were great pools of molten lava.

With a sound that sliced the air, he whipped his tail back and forth.

"That's my long, scaly, reptilian tail. And it's bigger than anyone else's," Katsuki said in a voice that was deeper, larger, yet still recognizable as his.

One huge eyelid dropped in an unmistakable wink.

Izuku collapsed in hysterical laughter.

"Stay down," the dragon told him. Katsuki lowered his head as he turned to the bluff, a sleek, sinuous behemoth. He bared his teeth in a vicious challenge. "Bring it on!"

One by one the Dark Fae riders rose into the air on their dragonfly steeds. They turned and flew away.

It was impossible to see, but Izuku sensed the predator in Katsuki vibrating with the instinct to give chase.

Katsuki held himself back though, and Izuku knew why.

The dragon wouldn't leave him unprotected with the Goblin/Fae army so near.

He pushed up on one elbow to stare in the direction of their pursuers. The Goblins and Fae riders had turned away. They were in full retreat.

The sound of ripping soil had him looking back at the dragon.

Katsuki was digging his talons into the ground as he snarled at their retreat. He crouched and sprang into the air. A roar split the sky like a thunderclap.

The Goblins began to scream as the killing began.

It was not so much a battle as it was extermination.

After Katsuki's first spectacular dive and roll when he winged low over their heads and spouted fire, Izuku couldn't watch anymore. He turned onto his stomach, put his arms over his head and waited for it to be over.

The stink of Goblin was overcome with the smell of oily smoke. It was not long before silence fell over the plain. There was no one left to do a body count.

None of their enemies made it off the plain alive.

*****

Izuku nestled his nose deeper in the tall, sweet-smelling grass.

The sun was high in the sky. It was warm on his back and shoulders.

A quiet rustling in the grass grew closer. A shadow fell over him. Something very light tickled his forearms that covered the back of his head. It whuffled in his hair.

He scratched an arm. "Did you kill the Fae horses?"

The whuffling stopped. Katsuki said in a cautious voice, "Was I not supposed to?"

He shrugged. "It just wasn't their fault."

"If it helps any, I was hungry and ate one," another whuffle.

He couldn't help but chuckle. "I guess that does help some."

Izuku rolled over. Katsuki had stretched out alongside him, his great body between him and the remains of the Goblin/Fae army. His wings, a dramatic sweep of bronze darkening to black at the tips were folded back. His hide glinted in the sun.

Izuku lifted his head and looked in the direction of a few plumes of smoke.

Katsuki's triangular head came down in front of him, golden eyes keen. "You don't need to look over there," he said in a gentle voice.

Izuku sat up and leaned against his snout. He laid his cheek against him. He stroked the wide curve of one nostril. It seemed somewhat softer than the rest of him.

Katsuki held very still, breathing light and shallow.

"What does that feel like?" he asked Katsuki.

"It feels good," Katsuki sighed, a great gust of wind, and he seemed to relax. "Thank you for saving my life again, Izuku."

Katsuki made the syllables of his human name sound musical.

"Back atcha, tough guy," he whispered.

After a few more moments, Katsuki withdrew, giving Izuku plenty of time to straighten. He looked up, way up at his long triangular head silhouetted against the afternoon sun.

"You have," Katsuki said, "two choices."

"Choices are good," Izuku pushed to his feet, all of a sudden feeling tired and achy again. "Choices are better than orders."

"You can ride," Katsuki told him. "Or I can carry you."

"Ride?" Izuku shaded his eyes and eyed Katsuki's enormous bulk. "That might be more excitement than I can deal with right now. I'm not seeing any seat belts up there."

"You got it."

Giving Izuku plenty of time to adjust, Katsuki wrapped the long claws of one foot around him with such precision he didn't cause so much as a scratch or pinch. When Katsuki tilted his foot, Izuku found he had quite a comfortable hollow in which to sit.

The dragon lifted him up so that he could look at him. "All right?"

"I'm feeling a little Fay Wray here, but otherwise it's great," he told Katsuki. "You know, if you weren't a multibillionaire, you could make a good living as an elevator."

Katsuki snorted a laugh, then the world fell away as he leaped into the air.

Anything else Izuku might have said was lost in the beat of Katsuki's huge wings, and was changed by his earsplitting shriek.