20 - Questions And Answers

Katsuki frowned as he considered the minefield Izuku had maneuvered in order to get to his hoard, the unknown charm acting in opposition to his spells.

The conflict of opposing magics might have killed another person.

That elegant citadel inside Izuku's mind was probably what had saved his life. Despite the boy's obvious upset, Katsuki didn't think Izuku realized how much danger he had been in.

He wondered if it was Izuku's conscience that made him so upset. He was fascinated by the concept of a conscience. He dropped a heavy hand onto the boy's shoulder, gripping the slender bone and sinew.

Katsuki shifted the conversation back to an earlier point. "Neito might have given you up anyway, before they killed him."

"No," Izuku sighed. "He didn't, which may actually be why they killed him."

"How can you be so sure?"

"After he blackmailed me, I blackmailed him," Izuku told him.

Katsuki squinted at him with one eye.

Was that approval gleaming in the dragon's gaze?

"I wouldn't give him what I stole unless he read the binding spell I bought yesterday. He would have lost the ability to speak if he tried to talk about me."

His stomach twisted as he imagined what must have been done to Neito.

It had been a bad death, Katsuki said, and Katsuki wasn't exactly known for being squeamish.

Was Neito's death on his conscience if Katsuki had been the one to start the whole damn thing? Or did he himself start the whole damn thing by opening up his big mouth?

The morality of it all was getting too convoluted for him to figure out.

"How did you get past my locks and the wards?"

Izuku closed his eyes and put his hands over his face.

What did it matter anymore?

"I'm a half-breed. I don't have much Nyr blood or many abilities. I can't change into a Nyr form, and I don't have a lot of Power. I don't have anything interesting about me," he pulled his hands away and looked at Katsuki.

The man was staring intently at him.

"What? Have I grown two heads?"

"You believe you don't have anything interesting about you," Katsuki said. "Or that you don't have much Power."

He gave the man a blank look and a shrug. "Except, I guess, for one stupid parlor trick I was too stupid not to keep to myself," he said. "I showed Neito when we were both drunk and goofing around."

"What was it?"

"It's easier to show than tell."

He walked over to the sliding glass door, unlocked it, stepped onto the deck and shut the door again.

Outside, the evening had darkened to dusk.

Still staring at Izuku, Katsuki stalked over and put a fist against the glass as if to break through it.

Izuku told him, "Go ahead and lock it again."

Katsuki's brows lowered in a scowl.

He just looked at the dragon. "Oh, go on. You know you could catch me again if I tried to run."

Katsuki's golden red dragon's gaze was holding his as he did what Izuku told him.

Izuku opened up the door and stepped back inside. "See?"