Chapter 4 - The Violinist

When all students dispersed to their respective classes after the assembly, Danial was walking with Sharmila in front of the teachers' seating area, until Madam Dayang stopped him, "Danial, Danial, may I borrow you for a minute before you go to yo...

When all students dispersed to their respective classes after the assembly, Danial was walking with Sharmila in front of the teachers' seating area, until Madam Dayang stopped him, "Danial, Danial, may I borrow you for a minute before you go to your class."

Danial smiled to his headmistress, "Sure, teacher," replied him.

Sharmila also smiled at Madam Dayang before saying to Danial, "See you in class, Dan." She walked away to her class.

Madam Dayang was smiling sweetly at Danial, "Danial, I would like you to meet your forum team's new teacher advisor, Mr. Mifzal Azlan."

Danial initially didn't realise that Mifzal was already standing behind Madam Dayang, when she approached him. He extended his hand to Mifzal, and Mifzal took it. Danial felt a firm grip from Mifzal, but his facial expression was still somehow nervous.

Madam Dayang, who was still smiling, continued, "Mr. Mifzal, Danial Izzani is our superstar in public speaking. He got second place in Megaputra's Malay language public speaking competition last year. He retired from the competition, because we have another candidate, who also wants to try her luck in the public speaking competition. So, he can focus more on the forum team and running the Malay language club because he's the president now."

Madam Dayang continued, "Last year, when Danial was in the forum team, he was selected to be the host. He marked history, as the youngest forum host in Megaputra. As you know Mr. Mifzal, most of the forum hosts are Form 5 students. 17 years old. But Danial was only 15. And he was awarded best host. Best host at the young age of 15," said Madam Dayang so proudly. She nearly lost her breath.

"You flattered me, teacher," said Danial to Madam Dayang. "I was the best host only in the Megaputra's Zone B level forum competition, Mr. Mifzal. It was just an honorary title and achievement. No certificate or trophy was given. Of course, we managed to enter the finals, but we didn't get any placing. Not in the top three. And I didn't get the best host in the finals."

"You are just being humble, Danial," said Madam Dayang. "Surely you did well, but as you were young, there are more chances this year and next year."

"Yes I agree," concurred Danial. "I was not fully devastated for not bringing any good news during the finals last year. Understand that it was my first time, and I was very young. But this year, no excuses. We need to bring something, third place at least."

"That's the spirit, Danial," said Madam Dayang, moving her fist to the air. "Who were the winners last year?"

"Sultan Suleiman Islamic College was the first place winner. Followed by Mary of Teck and Margaret Snowdon," answered Danial.

"Ugh," responded Madam Dayang. Her face quickly turned sour. Danial and Mifzal were frozen and didn't know how to react to Madam Dayang's response.

"You didn't hear that from me," Madam Dayang continued, fixing the position of her brooch. "Sultan Suleiman, very hard to defeat them, no?"