Chapter 11 - The Sultan's Other Son

Madam Dayang drove her car swiftly, after leaving SMK Tengku Simpulan Intan in the district of Megaputra

Madam Dayang drove her car swiftly, after leaving SMK Tengku Simpulan Intan in the district of Megaputra. Sitting beside her was her English language teacher, Zara Jebat. At the back seat was her Malay language teacher, Mifzal Azlan. It was 8:00 in the morning, and she was heading to Mahkota Puri Palace, located in Dirgantara.

Dirgantara and Megaputra were separated by a hill, named Arjuna Permata. Before the 90s, it took almost one hour to travel between these two districts, as drivers needed to travel around the hill to arrive at their destination from Megaputra to Dirgantara and vice versa.

However, it changed in the early 90s, when the monarch of Shahputra, Sultan Muzzammil V, suggested the idea to build an underground highway tunnel to reconnect both districts, in an effort to shorten the travel time between those two. Of course, with the initiative from Malaysia's Ministry of Works, and the Prime Minister himself, Sultan Muzzammil V's idea came into fruition. A month after the inauguration of the Petronas Twin Towers, Sultan Muzzammil V cut the ribbons to officiate the opening of the tunnel. The name given for the tunnel was Aryana Azrina Tunnel, named after the late wife of Sultan Muzzammil V and former queen consort of Shahputra, Sultanah Aryana Azrina.

With the tunnel, the travel time between Megaputra and Dirgantara had been decreased from one hour to 15 minutes. Madam Dayang's car had already passed the tunnel, and her car's wheels were now rolling on Mahkota Street.

The day was not really bright. The sun was still shying away. The sky was a mixture of colour orange and grey. The gloomy scenery outside of the Mahkota Puri Palace was flashing with royal blue and dark red colour from the siren lights. Police cars were everywhere, with only an ambulance somewhere in the pool.

Madam Dayang parked her car a bit further from the crime scene. She stepped out of her car, looking far to the car, where Clarissa Ching's body was found. Zara fixed the position of her cat-eye spectacles, to see clearly on the scene. She didn't realise that Mifzal did the same.

Three of them walked in a horizontal line, moving closer to the crime scene. They saw the ambulance, with a trolley at the back. On the trolley, a black in colour plastic substance was on top of it. It must be a body bag, containing who was once the best choir conductor in the district of Megaputra.

A bit further front from the body bag, stood a policeman, wearing a perfectly fitted, blue in colour Royal Malaysia Police uniform. Beside him, stood a middle-aged man, wearing an old-looking light blue baju melayu. They were conversing lightly with each other.

The policeman's side eye did notice three adults were walking toward him. He subtly invited the middle-aged man to walk towards Madam Dayang, Zara, and Mifzal.

The police took a deep breath and blurted, "My name is Inspector Hassan, from Megaputra Police Station. What can I help you with?"

Madam Dayang raised her chin a bit, and replied with a full Margaret Thatcher-like charisma, "My name is Dayang Sheila. Headmistress of SMK Tengku Simpulan."