Chapter 7 - The Concerto

Danial Izzani ran to his 4 Science 2 class as he was already late for his English class with Madam Indrani Susheela

He entered his class abruptly, while Madam Indrani was starting to teach the class. "You're late," voiced Madam Indrani, smiling, but her lips were pursed.

"Sorry, teacher," apologised Danial. "It won't happen again."

"Faster sit, I'm starting the class," said Madam Indrani.

Danial walked to his designated desk, at the most front of the class, beside Sharmila Priya Mohan. Her expression was neutral, while looking at Danial taking his seat.

Danial took out his English textbook from his school bag. When he wanted to put it on his desk, he saw a parchment of paper, folded. He put his textbook beside the paper parchment, and took it to unfold it.

Meet me behind the computer lab, five minutes after the school bell rings for recess.

Make sure no one sees you.

Sharmila

Danial crumpled the paper parchment and threw it inside his school bag.

The school bell rang for recess at 10 in the morning. Sharmila stood and walked out of the class, without speaking to Danial.

As the subject period in his class before the recess was additional mathematics, he remained seated as he was still solving the question he was answering for his homework. At least, that can kill the time, to wait for five minutes before meeting Sharmila at the super isolated location behind the computer lab.

His class was already empty as everyone chased to the school canteen to get their refreshments. Danial's head was frowning, as he found a dead end on solving the extremely challenging mathematical equation. He was not so focused anymore, and his focus was gone, when someone knocked the class door.

"Danial," said a voice softly. He knew that voice, and his heartbeat raced again. At that moment, it's the cue for him to give up answering the additional mathematics question. The soft voice belonged to no other than Raisa Natalia.

Danial slowly raised his head from his additional mathematics workbook to the front near the class door, to Raisa. Raisa was smiling at him. He gulped, while pushing the centre of his semi-rimless spectacles to position it better in front of his brown eyes. He replied to Raisa's smile with his dimple-on-cheek smile.

That was the first time he saw clearly, Raisa was smiling at him. Like a real smile. It sent a flourishing joy to his heart, spreading to the bloodstream of his shoulder.

"You need to leave the classroom, Danial. For recess. Today, I'm the prefect assigned to guard your class," said Raisa calmly.

Danial was muted and didn't know how to reply to her. He stood up from his desk, pushed his chair to his desk, and walked slowly to the class door, to Raisa.