Chapter 6 - The Gold Medalist

Nearly three hours after the crown prince of Shahputra found a female dead body outside of the Mahkota Puri Palace in the district of Dirgantara - in the other district beside it called Megaputra, in a school named SMK Tengku Simpulan Intan, the s...

Nearly three hours after the crown prince of Shahputra found a female dead body outside of the Mahkota Puri Palace in the district of Dirgantara - in the other district beside it called Megaputra, in a school named SMK Tengku Simpulan Intan, the school's headmistress, Madam Dayang Sheila, entered her office.

Followed behind her was the school's English language teacher, Zara Jebat and her new Malay language teacher, Mifzal Azlan.

She sat on her office chair. Behind her, a glass shelf was displayed. It showcased numerous gold in colour trophies and cups. Most of the cups were written:-

THIRD PLACE

SECONDARY SCHOOLS CHOIR COMPETITION

DISTRICT OF MEGAPUTRA [YEAR]

Zara and Mifzal stood at the opposite of Madam Dayang's desk. She put her elbows on the desk. Her fingers from both of her hands clasped to each other.

"Well, sit," uttered Madam Dayang, breaking the silence. Zara swiftly took a seat opposite of Madam Dayang's desk. Meanwhile, Mifzal walked slowly to the seat beside Zara's. He sat and put his briefcase on his lap. His arms were folded 90 degrees, resulting in his biceps' shape to appear visible under his grey-buttoned shirt sleeves. Madam Dayang winced a bit, when she saw the sight of Mifzal's arms.

Zara's head was facing Madam Sheila, but tilted to her right a bit, to signal that she really didn't want to look at Mifzal. Mifzal cornered his eyes to his right, to peek at Zara, and then turned his head down, looking blankly at his briefcase. Madam Dayang frowned, looking at the odd interaction between her two teachers. And then she smiled.

"How does it feel to be back at SMK Tengku Simpulan Intan?" asked Madam Dayang to Mifzal.

"It's definitely surreal, Madam Dayang," replied Mifzal, smiling faintly.

"Feel free to use our school's swimming pool. You know, to swim. I hope you haven't given up swimming?"

"No, Madam Dayang, no," chuckled Mifzal. "I still swim everyday, at Celebrity Fitness, Mid Valley Megamall, in Kuala Lumpur. Still has membership there."

"Surely, you're not commuting to KL from Megaputra just to go to the gym," said Madam Dayang, acting like a mother. "Discontinue your membership there. Our school has a full pledged gym. It has an Olympic-sized swimming pool. Thanks to Zara's rich dad." Madam Dayang glanced over to Zara, who was still silent with her blase expression.

"You can use it anytime," continued Madam Dayang. "I already got Coach Aiden Soh's clearance for you to use it. Matter of fact, he's excited that our former gold medalist in 200 metres freestyle and 50 metres breaststroke in MSSM 2004 Aquatic Championship is returning back to Tengku Simpulan Intan, as his colleague." MSSM stands for Malaysia School Sports Council.