Chapter 9 - The Hidden Boyfriend

Joash Law walked out from the counselling room

Joash Law walked out from the counselling room. He was already late to meet Danial Izzani for recess in the school's canteen. He was stuck with Madam Indrani in the counselling room, discussing new ideas on the English drama he was leading this year.

A bit odd for her to meet him in the counselling room, considering that she was not even the school's counsellor. But, as the counselling room had a living room, with a comfortable sofa, and free coffee - Joash understood why his English teacher wanted to meet him there. The school's counsellor, Ms. Kaisara even brought a delicious cheese tart and shared it with both him and Madam Indrani. He needed to ensure his elder brothers didn't know that. He admitted himself, he already messed up his diet a bit for swimming.

The counselling room was located just beside the computer lab. When Joash was wearing his black in colour canvas school shoes, she saw Sharmila Priya Mohan walking from the back of the computer lab. She was fixing the waist of her light blue pinafore. Small dried leaves were also attached on her pinafore skirt for some peculiar reasons (also, there were trees behind the computer lab - the dried leaves might fall on Sharmila's skirt), so she swiped it away by using the back of her hand.

Sharmila faced down, when she was walking alone, nearing the door of the counselling room. Joash stood in front of the door with one leg. The other leg was still hanging in the air with no shoe. He was holding the shoe.

50 metres away behind Sharmila, Danial walked from the back of the computer lab. In a split second, Joash was shocked. His eyes widened like its balls would explode from his eye socket. Danial froze and stopped walking. Sharmila realised Danial was no longer walking, so she turned back to see him.

"What were you guys doing alone behind the secluded computer lab?" asked Joash jarringly. Sharmila turned her head to see Joash back. Her eyebrows raised. Joash pointed his index finger to Sharmila. His mouth was agape and his lips were a bit shaking, "I saw you were fixing your pinafore while walking!"

"So?" replied Sharmila expressionless.

Joash squinted his eyes, "Both of you were not doing anything funny right? Behind the most isolated area in school?" queried Joash.

Danial, feeling guilty, raised his arms to his chest, showing his palms to Joash, "No, it's not as what you think it is," he defended.

Sharmila turned back to see Danial with an irritated look. Her mind said, "Danial, can you not be too obvious, when you feel guilty. Worse, we are not even guilty."

Sharmila turned to Joash and asked, "What funny thing you thought we were doing?" Sharmila raised her left eyebrow.

"I don't know," answered Joash while putting his other shoe on his foot. "Just don't break my Danial's heart."

"Your Danial?" asked Sharmila while crossing her arms over her chest.

"My friend, Danial," corrected Joash.