Chapter 8: Half dead, half dying - EVELYNS POV

I was walking through a road, I felt guilty about everything. Why hadn't I just listened to Morgan? Are they dead because of me? Why did I leave? Why did I risk everything? My feelings were scattered all around, I listen to my surroundings, there was a few chirps and a few howls but I also heard a few low growls and groans, obviously from the undead bastards. I picked up the pace and walked faster. The sounds got quieter, and I slowed down again. I came across a field, it had bloody footprints. I followed them, and I spotted train tracks. I contemplated whether or not I should follow them but eventually gave in and began walking beside them. After about ten minutes I came across an apple tree, I suppose somebody else must've been planting this before everything happened. I went over to the tree and opened my bag, then shook the tree and about 9 apples fell straight into them. I closed my bag again and went back to following the tracks. They seemed like they would never end, and it was getting dark. After about another hour I looked around and thankfully, I spotted a clearing in the distance, I chose to go over to it and there was a tree next to it. I climbed it and luckily the branches were large enough and stuck together so I could probably sleep there. I placed my bag onto the trunk part of the tree and laid down on the branches. They were stiff, but they were going to have to work for the night. It was a somewhat quiet night besides for the occasional groaning and growling that crept under my tree. I suppose they didn't hear or see me since they just walked under the tree and went into the forest trees. I didn't sleep much but when I did, I had an occasional nightmare or sleep paralysis. I woke up at dawn that morning, it was cold but not too cold. I grabbed my bag and climbed down the tree, once I got down I headed back to where I could remember the tracks were and I fortunately found them. I followed the small tracks and took breaks occasionally. Winter was upon arrival, and I was positive if I didn't go back now, I would get hypothermia immediately. I've always enjoyed Winter since it's my last name, but right now it doesn't seem like it will be very good to me. I needed to find the people that helped me through my worst, even if it was just their dead bodies. Morgan was practically a sibling to me, we grew up together and shared a room in the hospital. Morgan was the only one i could connect to deeply, and if they died because of me... i'm sorry, Quinn. I need to walk quicker, get to them immediately.
"Fuck. Why couldn't you think normally, Evelyn?"
I lecture myself, picking up my pace in order to keep from hypothermia. I hear a growling behind me, so I raise my knife and turn my head, there stands an entire group of corpses, all slowly creeping their way towards me. I immediately turn forward again and begin running as quickly as I can, occasionally shooting one. My feet hit the ground, one foot after another, as I approach a full sprint. I let a few tears run off of my cheek, instantly wiping them and getting a determined look on my face, I stop running and instead turn back to them, shooting each of them until only one remains. It growls at me and I keep my gaze on it. I raise my gun again while it slowly walks to me. Before it can reach me I speak,
"I'm not dying before I see Quinn again, motherfucker."
I say, shooting it directly in the head before turning around and following the tracks again. I get tired but don't stop to rest. I keep going until nightfall, and even then I continue walking. I only stop once I physically can't continue, and climb a tree before instantly tying myself to a branch and sleeping. The darkness is peaceful, but the growling from below me is not.