Kenma Kozume (1)

I purse my lips. "Huh when'd she get there?" "I don't know... maybe she just got switched in! Yeah that's it!"

Voices ring through my ears. All I have to do is; throw the ball up, run, jump, and swing. I don't know if I can do it till I hear Aiko scream. "Go Y/n you can do this," she yells, through the large crowd. My body sinks, how embarrassing.

I sigh, then serve the ball. Yaka is the first one to call out, "nice serve Y/n," as we all run closer to the net.

The ball takes three hits from the opposing team, Karasuno. I heard their team isn't all that good, and they really aren't. One girl bumps the ball to the wrong person and she awkwardly sets the ball to the far right, and I realize I have about 2 seconds to figure something out.

I scan the court, most of our blockers (including me) are on the left, I'm the closest to the right. I'll run over there and block the ball, but I'll tip it, so it hits her hand, and falls behind her. I act on my thoughts without second thinking it, not that I have the time to anyways.

I run and jump in front of the spiker, my eyes squint down at her, her eyes fill with fear, she knows she can't react, she can't do anything right now. It just me and her in this 1 second lasting world. She hits the ball staring to my hand, which perfectly lightly taps it on to her hand, then falls to the floor.

"That was so good Y/n!" Yamata cheers running over to me and swinging her arm around my neck. I push her off awkwardly and nod.

"Don't let it get to you guys, seriously, rub it off and push forward it's just the first point," their team captain cheers, although her face says otherwise . She has short brown hair and trusting eyes.

I glance at the score broad as my teams number flips to a one, and. Aiko screams in the background. "Do that serve again," Kora reminds me. I glance at her and slightly nod, then serve the ball into play.

Karasuno get the ball over in three decently graceful hits, now it's on our side. It's about to his the floor so our libero save us, passing it to our setter, Kora, she glances at us ws (wing spikers) and we all know what to do. Two jump up in front of the net, one on the left and one on the right. The Karasuno blockers jump up to block them, it's the obvious choice. But I haven't jumped yet.

I jump behind Kora, and she sets the ball to me, which I spike over the net. A Karasuno girl dives after it but misses. I feel bad for going hard on them, but this is good practice for them.

I watch the scoreboard turn to two-zero. Now it's back to serving, waiting for the ball, spiking, and repeating. Oh and I gusse listening to Aiko yell from the crowd.

///

We win 2-0. First match was 25-17 and the second round, 25/14. After we say our thanks. I slouch down to one of the benches, sweating. "We did great everybody, I just wanted to say good job everybody, we all worked hard and-" I block off the rest of my coaches words.

The crowd clears up, and me and my team starts to help clean up the gym, but I hear a familiar voice that makes me pause. "YYYY/NNNNN!" Aiko yells running on the court. "You did soooooo good." She pauses and look me up and down, and I cringe, knowing what she's going to say. "Silent ace." I shake my head. "I'm not silent, and I'm not an ace." I say walking away, and she follows close behind me. "You're soooo good, you scored a lot of points today." She smiles. I nod. "Thanks, but the appoints were just too easy to read and predict. " I say, and she snorts.

I glance back at her. "You know who you remind me of," she leads on in a tempting voice. "No... probably not." Aiko is popular, she know a lot more people than I do. "Right um- you remind me of Kenma, he's on the volleyball team I coach with." She smiles, somehow now scrolling on her phones.

I stay silent trying to remember possible who Kenma could be. She started coach volleyball last year when we came to high school. "Aiko" I say starting to pack up my volleyball bag. "Hmm," she hums deeply in her phone. "Why don't you just play volleyball," I ask, avoiding eye contact. "Because I don't get a thrill- OH HERE WE GO!" She expressed loudly. She flips her phone towards me. It's a picture of the guys volleyball team. I stare at it confused. "Oh wait." She says flipping the phone back and zooming in, when she flips it around it's zoomed in on a part-blonde-part-black-haired boy who doesn't look mad, but could be happier somewhere else. My stomach turns for a second, my face might be heating up too. "That's Kenma Kozume."