CHAPTER SIX : SEARRA

I walk back to the bus stop to wait for a bus. A car stops and the driver honks.

   The driver honks again and I look up. The window rolls down.

   "Get in" a guy says.

  I get up and begin to walk away. Weirdo. The car begins to follow me and I walk faster.
     I get a text but ignore it. I get another text and check it out.

     The message makes me stop. Its from Darren.

   Get in.

The passenger window rolls down again and he takes off his shades.

    I take a deep breathe and enter the car.
"What" I ask.
  He just stares at me then without warning he takes off with speed.

  I buckle my seatbelt and close my eyes.
I don't shout at him, I just allow him. I need this.

   He parks by the sea and gets out. I wait for a while before I also get out.
   He is sitting on the bonnet of the car and I join him.

   "I thought we weren't supposed to meet again." I say.

   "You weren't supposed to meet my family" he says.

    "Fair point." I say.

He looks like he wants to say something. He fidgets with his fingers. I smile, it reminds me of Uncle.

  "What do you want to say?" I ask.

He blows out a breath,"Nothing" and gets off the bonnet. He walks away and walks back.
     "How was your date yesterday" He asks sarcastically.

  "A date?"  I ask confused,

He takes out his phone and shows me a picture of me and Giveon. Yesterday.

  "How did you get that"

"I told you. Eyes are now on you"

    "Are you stalking me now"

"You wish you had that luxury, darling. Caleb showed it to us dinner, yesterday. Looks like you enjoyed yourself" He says stepping closer to me.

   "What's wrong with you"

"Did he promise you another meal. Is he the one that sent you the bouquet too or is it another idiot. Does that make you happy thinking you can finally have a relationship all your three years of school since Justin. Is that why you are being reckless" he steps up to me.

   I stagger back. "Did you run a check on me"

   He runs a hand through his hair.

"How dare you"

    "You are putting yourself in danger"

"And how is that your concern. I never asked you to say I was your girlfriend. You and your family should all just fuck off" I slam my palms into his chest though I know it wouldn't make a scratch on him and take my purse from his car.

    In my hurry, it opens and I catch my phone before it falls down.

I hurry away from him but stop.  I'm shaking. That bastard.
   I can't allow him, not today of all days. I am my mother's daughter after all.

   I turn back and walk towards him.
He doesn't look at me as I slam the purse in his chest.

  "My affairs are none of your business and you have no right to insult person the bouquet belongs to. You- you have no right- "

    He holds my hands and pulls me closer, searching my eyes.

   "You are crying" he says, his voice lowering.

      A tear steaks down my face and i try to pull away but he holds unto my hands not letting go.

        Without warning, he pulls me to him and puts a hand around me.

        I begin to sob. Why I'm i not pushing away?. I hate the way I'm breaking down in front of him. Why couldn't I cry in the cemetery?.

"I hate you" I say. "I truly hate you" I say but he doesn't let go and I cry. The tears that were meant for them, I cry to him and he doesn't stop me.

     The drive back is fuzzy. When we arrive, he doesn't unlock the door. I can't handle this now.

    "Don't go to places with few people. Be sure of the friends you make. Anyone who seems to know more than you've told them is a spy. Don't do anything that'll draw too much attention-" he pauses, "You'll not even listen" he rubs his forehead. " Just be careful" The way he's talking.

   I trun to him.

He smiles, "It seems I did a good job of making you hate me." For the first time, his smile looks genuine as he says," It was nice having you as my girlfriend, Searra". He unlocks the door.

      I just stare at him, I should say something or get out but I stare at him. One last look.

    Now I should really say something but I don't. I get out and walk away.

    It's really goodbye now. By the time I get to my room, his car is gone.

      It's for the best. My world was better before he showed up. Its not like we really knew each other so why do I feel like this.

   I open our chat. Just two.

  Searra.
   Get in.

Now it's time to get out. I select his number and click delete.

   A message comes asking if I'm sure of this. My hand shakes a little as I click 'yes' then it's gone.

      Its when i put the purse away that it hits me. I open my purse again. It's not there.

         Where's Uncle's gift?.  I check the living room but it's not there. Where did I put it. Wait,my purse opened in his car. Shit.

     I lie on the bed and close my eyes.

Don't say hi to yesterday forever.

   I sigh. I wish it was that easy.