CHAPTER THIRTEEN : SEARRA

There's a pause, then he laughs. He laughs. I can tell whose genes Darren took the most.

"Sit" he gestures to the couch again.

I sit and begin reading the file.

"The partner must be able to keep a shut mouth. The partner must go to any location she is sent to, which will involve any Locamen exchange. Locamen?"

"The man you had to make fall for your charms" he says and I smile.

He is really Darren's dad.

" The partner should allow to be accompanied by a guard any time." I sigh, "okay time out. There's no way I'm going to allow someone follow me any where I go. Listen, I'm already doing a good job by not freaking out Mr., but could these agreement be at least flexible if you want me to actually accept them."

"You will accept them" he says so sure of himself. He takes a pen and puts it on the table.

I read through the file and after much argument I finally get a better offer. I want to push for more changes but I know not to push his buttons too much.

I read out the last requirement, "While still on this one year contract, the employer promises to try to protect the partner as much as he can"

That's reasonable but 'try' is not really that good enough. I stare at him, he is looking back at me. He's studying me again.

I take the pen then sign the two files. He also signs and takes one copy, "The other is yours to keep."

It's done, now there's no going back. Just one year.

"You can leave now. I'm sure my son is waiting for you"

I nod then walk out of the office. As I'm going up the stairs, I see Lucas coming down.

He looks surprised to see me then hides something behind his back as we get closer.

"What" I ask.

He stares at the file in my hand, "It has a stupid name, doesn't it?"

I laugh, "You have no idea."

"Oh trust me, I do. I live with him"

I try to peer at what he is hiding.

He touches my forehead with a finger, "No peeking, butterfly"

"I told you, drop the names"

"You better get used to it, since we will be seeing each other a lot more often" he says and walks past me.

Unlike the first time we met, this time he seems eager to get away from me.

I open Darren's door to see him pacing around. He turns to me and puffs on his cigarette.

I raise the file to him, "Got him to adjust it a little".

He smiles, "That's my girl"

I feel my cheeks turn red and look away.

    "How was he" he asks.

  "Kinder I guess. For a minute I almost forgot who he was." I walk to a bookshelf. "Was there really a gun where you said" I look at him.

He nods.

  "So you didn't trust him enough to tell me"

   "My father is unpredictable. Don't lower your guard because he smiled a lot and treated you nicely. He has a way with his words. For all you know, he still got the better deal".

"I noticed" I take a book and flip through it. "Can I borrow this" I ask.

     He looks at it and nods.