Chapter 1 - Nightmare

3rd Person

Mike woke up with a loud gasp, his head throbbing and a cold sweat dripping down his face, he had just had his third nightmare of the week and they seemed to be getting worse.

At first it was just small nightmares that he could get past, waking up and not being too bothered by them. But these recent ones were seriously damaging him.

He began to cry, small sniffles filling his room, trying his best not the wake the sleeping boy on the floor next to him.

Eventually, his small sniffles turned into loud sobs, and Will woke up, rubbing his eyes.

"Hey.. What's wrong?" He frowned, sitting up to look at his best friend.

"Nothing.. I-I'm fine." Mike tried to hide his crying, but he gave himself away when he let out a loud sob.

"Mike.. What happened?" Will whispered, sitting on the edge of the bed so that he could see Mike.

"It doesn't matter. Sorry for waking you up.." He muttered, his voice trembling.

"You can tell me what happened, you know that, right?" Will whispered, gently taking Mike's hand in his own and giving it a small squeeze.

Mike sat up aswell, positioning himself so that he was leaning against the wall, and he sat there and just stared down at their connecting hands.

Will flicked on the light, illuminating the room so they could both now see each other.

"I-.. I keep getting these, nightmares. Flashbacks." Mike whispered, already feeling embarrassed for telling Will.

"What about? Anything in particular?" Will questioned, slightly intrigued.

"That day, i-in the mall. With the mindflayer. And the day that- that they found your body in the quarry." Mike admitted.

"What-.. What are you thinking about in the nightmares?" Will frowned, uncertain how to help his best friend.

"I-I keep thinking you're dead, Will." Mike looked at Will in the eye for the first time since they had begun this conversation, tears threatening to spill.

"Mike.. I'm right here. I'm fine." He brought Mike's hand up to his chest and pressed it against where his heart was beating.

Mike smiled softly at this and wiped the tears off of his face, and Will began talking.

"You said you had nightmares about that day in the mall, what do you see in the nightmares?" Will asked him gently, rubbing his thumb against the back of Mike's hand.

"You-.. You know when Lucas used his wrist rocket to pop that balloon because the Mind Flayer was in the gap..?" Mike tried his best to explain.

"Yeah, why?" Will frowned slightly.

"I-I was in the gap. And his weird fleshy hand thing was directly in front of my face a-and I thought I was going to die! And there's so much I want to say a-and I was just so scared that I'd never be able to tell you or anybody what I want to say and-" Mike began to ramble, his panic rising in his chest.

"Mike, it's okay. You don't need to panic, it's gone, and you're safe. I promise." Will whispered, taking Mike's other hand in his own, so they were now fully holding hands.

Mike looked at Will for a minute, before breaking down and just sobbing. Will's eyes widended slightly, before hurriedly pulling Mike into a hug.

Mike melted into the hug, wrapping his arms around Will and just bawling.

"You're okay, you're okay.." Will whispered, trying to calm Mike down.

Mike continued to cry, burrying his head into Will's neck.

"I'm sorry for waking you up." Mike mumbled, now feeling embarrassed about everything.

"No, no don't apologize. It's okay." Will smiled softly at Mike, pulling away from the hug.

Mike smiled back weakly at him, and Will sighed slightly.

"Try and sleep, alright? If you have another nightmare then please wake me up. I don't want you crying all alone." Will asked him, and Mike just sat and looked at him for a minute.

"Alright." He gave in, looking down.

"Thank you." Will smiled, and he gave Mike's hand one small final squeeze before slipping back down onto his bed on the floor.

"G'night Mike." Will whispered, closing his eyes.

"Goodnight.." Mike mumbled, closing his eyes aswell and flicking off the light.

For the first time in weeks, the rest of Mike's sleep was fine. No nightmares whatsoever.

{Word Count: 733}