Chapter 2 - Pancakes

3rd Person

Will was immensely worried about Mike.

After last night, he was thinking about everything that had happened the last few years, and Mike has been there for every single bit.

He has seen everything that a person can see, and now the trauma is finally catching up to him.

Will was now awake and in the kitchen making breakfast for him, Mike, Jonathan and Nancy, as the two Wheelers had stayed over at the Byer's house that night.

He was making pancakes when he heard soft footsteps from behind him, and he turned around to see Mike walking in, rubbing his eyes.

"Good morning! Would you like some pancakes?" Will grinned, and Mike nodded softly.

Will nodded and continued to make the pancakes, placing a couple on a plate for him and Mike, signalling for Mike to come over.

"You know where the syrup is, right?" Will made sure, and Mike only nodded.

Will found this a bit odd, but he didn't say anything and continued to finish off making the rest of the pancakes.

He finished after about five minutes, and at this point both Nancy and Jonathan emerged from Jonathan's room.

Everybody was wide awake, apart from Mike, and they all sat down and watched TV while munching on their breakfast.

"Are you okay?" Will whispered, not wanting to see Mike in such an upset state.

"Y-Yeah, I'm fine.." He mumbled, before taking a big bite out of one of his pancakes.

Will frowned slightly, not sure what was going on with Mike, but he would figure out. He always did.

Will was about to ask Mike something, when Nancy spoke up.

"Me and Jonathan are gonna go and meet up with Robin and Steve, are you two okay staying here by yourself?" She asked them both, to which they both nodded

"Good! And the pancakes where amazing, Will. Thank you." Nancy grinned, ruffling Will's hair.

"Thank you." Will blushed out of embarrassment, not used to getting compliments.

"Anyway, let's go Jonathan!" Nancy urged, pulling Jonathan up.

"Bye guys!" Jonathan grinned, giving them a small wave.

"Bye." Will giggled slightly, waving back at his brother.

Mike watched all of this in silence, still eating his pancakes. Will looked over at him after both of their siblings have left, and he let out a small sigh.

"D-Did I do something?" Will looked over at Mike.

"What? No, no of course not." Mike instantly felt bad, not wanting Will to be upset.

"Then why aren't you talking to me? Is it because of last night?" Will asked Mike, who went silent.

"I knew it was." Will muttered, turning away.

"Will, it's not you. It's me." Mike sighed, taking Will's hand gently.

Will turned back around and looked at Mike for a second, scanning his face.

"I just-.. I got embarrassed when I cried in front of you. I never cry in front of people. I thought you'd think I'm weak or something.." Mike mumbled, not daring to look Will in the eyes.

"What? No, Mike you're the strongest person I know. Everybody needs to just have a little cry sometimes." Will smiled softly at him, and he sighed.

"I'm sorry.. About everything." Mike looked up at Will, quickly glancing at his lips.

Will stayed silent, remembering the argument that they had only a few days ago.

'It's not my fault you don't like girls!'

Will wouldn't look Mike in the eyes, and Mike sighed.

"Will, I-I'm really sorry.." He whispered, not wanting Will to be upset with him.

"It's fine, Mike. I'm not bothered about it anymore." Will muttered, giving Mike a small smile.

Mike frowned at this, as he could tell Will's smile was fake.

"You- you aren't mad at me, are you?" Mike whispered, scared of loosing Will again.

"What? No of course not." Will shook his head softly.

Mike nodded hesitantly, and he opened his mouth to speak but the phone rang.

They both jumped at the sound, and Will quickly detached his hands from Mike's, running over to the phone.

"This is Will Byers speaking." He spoke softly into the phone.

"Hey, Will! It's Lucas!" Lucas's voice came through the phone.

"Hi! What's up?" Will smiled, gently wrapping his finger around the cord of the phone.

"Me and Dustin are going out, do you wanna come with us? We would go out with Mike too but nobody is picking up at his house." Lucas scoffed.

"He's with me, do you want me to ask him?" Will questioned.

This caught Mike's attention, and he looked up at Will.

"What?" He raised his eyebrows.

"Lucas and Dustin want us to go out with them, do you want to?" Will smiled softly at him.

Mike opened his mouth to speak, but he was too busy staring at Wills smile to respond.

"Wh-.. Y-You look, what?" Mike muttered, ripping his eyes away from Will's lips.

"Do you want to go to the mall with Lucas, Dustin and me? And obviously Max and El if they want to come." Will offered.

Mike nodded and looked back down at Will's lips, not realising Will had been looking at him this entire time.

"Alright that's fine, bye. I'll see you soon." Will finished the call, hanging up the phone.

Mike looked back up at Will's face, which was now a deep shade of red, and frowned slightly.

"Why are you so red?" Mike looked at Will's cheeks which were almost radiating heat they were that red.

"N-Nothing." Will tried to hide his face, but failed miserably.

"Do you like someone?" Mike gasped, grinning.

Will tried to stop the smile forming on his face, but again, failed miserably.

"Oh my god! Who is it? Is she in the party?" Mike grinned.

'She.'

"U-Uh.." Will muttered, his smile dropping slightly.

"So she is in the party?" Mike questioned.

"Mike I'm not answering any questions, l-let's just go, okay?" Will got up and tried to pull Mike along with him.

"Nooo I want to know who you like!" Mike whined, and Will scoffed.

"We're leaving, come on!" He pulled Mike up, and soon enough they were both on their way to the mall.

{Word Count: 1039}