Chapter 6 - Night terror

3rd Person

Mike cycled down to the quarry, Eleven on the back of his bike. Cycling his bike became difficult as tears began to cloud his vision and his palms became clammy.

He could hear the faint sounds of police sirens down by the water as he flung his bike down to the ground, running over behind the ambulance that was parked.

He watched as two workers pulled a small body out of the water, wearing Will's clothing.

"No, no no no." Mike whispered, shaking his head.

"It's Will. It's really Will." Lucas whispered, and Mike felt his heart stop.

He took a few steps back, eleven following closely.

"Mike-" Eleven began to speak, but Mike wouldn't let her continue.

"Mike? Mike what!? You were supposed to help us find him alive!" Mike fired, slapping her hand away.

Eleven stood there speechless, her face pale.

"You said he was alive! Why did you lie to us!? What is wrong with you?" Mike spat, tears threatening to spill from his eyes.

"What is wrong with you?" He repeated, his vision fogging.

"Mike.." Eleven whispered.

"What?" Mike scowled, exasperated.

He raised his eyebrows in a mocking way, before leaving the three and heading over to his bike

"Mike, come on. Don't do this, man." Lucas pleaded, his voice wobbly.

"Mike!" Dustin tried.

"Mike, where are you going? Mike!" Lucas tried again, but Mike was already cycling off.

By the time he reached home, he was on the verge of tears. He slammed his bike down on the grass and stormed inside.

Karen looked up and saw Mike stood there, his lip quivering and eyes watery. She shot up, rushing over to Mike and engulfing him in a hug.

Mike burst into tears, letting out tiny sobs into his mothers chest.

Mike shot up, letting out a loud gasp.

"Holy shit, are you alright, man?"  Dustin's eyes were wide, and Mike looked around to see Lucas, Dustin and Will all sat there, looking worried.

"W-What happened?" He whispered, his hand reaching up to touch his tear streaked cheeks.

"You had a nightmare." Will frowned, and Mike looked down to see their hands connected still.

"Did I wake you up?" He looked around.

"Yeah, but what happened, man?" Lucas frowned.

"It was nothing. Just a stupid nightmare." Mike muttered, wiping away the tears from his face.

"Mike-" Will tried, but Mike couldn't look at him.

"Just go back to sleep, I'm fine." He looked down, feeling embarrassed.

"Mike come on, man. Just talk to us." Dustin sighed.

"I said I'm fine. Just go to sleep." Mike muttered, facing away from all of them and covering himself with the blanket.

Soon enough he heard everybody give up, and he heard the sound of moving around.

"Goodnight." Will whispered.

Two small replies were heard, and Mike waited until he could no longer hear any sign of anybody being awake so that he could get up.

He sat up, being as quiet as he possibly could, and he looked down at the smaller boy next to him, making sure he was asleep.

He could hear the steady rhythm of Will's breathing, so he gently pressed his hand against where Will's heart was, wanting to make sure it was just a nightmare.

Will opened his eyes at the feel of something pressing against his chest, and Mike blushed and moved his hand away.

"Mike.. What are you doing?" Will whispered, sitting up beside him.

"I-.. Sorry." Mike mumbled, leaning back against the couch.

"What were you doing?" Will repeated, incredibly confused.

"..I was making sure you were alive." Mike muttered, now embarrassed.

"Why wouldn't I be? Mike what is going on?" Will asked him, concerned for his best friend.

"I keep having nightmares about that night in the quarry. They- They seem so real and it's scary.. I don't want to loose you. Not again." Mike whispered, not realising that his thumb was gently rubbing against the back of Will's hand.

"You don't need to worry, I'm right here. I always will be." Will smiled softy at Mike, giving his hand a small squeeze.

Mike scanned his face for a moment, pursing his lips and swallowing. He nodded softly.

"Thank you." Mike smiled softly at him.

"You're welcome. Now please, try and get a good night's sleep." Will smiled back at him, a light blush spreading across his cheeks.

They both settled down, their legs touching as their bed was quite small. Mike continued to toss and turn, becoming quite restless.

He turned over to face Will, when he felt a pair of arms wrap around his waist.

He paused, his heart thumping loud enough he thought Will could hear him.

"Will, what are you doing?" Mike whispered, turning to face Will.

"Comforting you, now go to sleep." Will whispered, pulling Mike closer to him.

Mike gave in and just dug his head into Will's chest, letting himself take in the sweet scent of Will's perfume.

"Goodnight." Will smiled into the hug.

"Goodnight."

{Word Count: 839}