This One is Different

I sat in my van, unbelieving of what I managed to pull off. The idea of having her come over was born out of thin air – there was some truth to it, of course. Maggie would be more likely to engage with Dolly in a productive way if I was there.

Dolly. Dahlia Brooks. I don't think I ever heard such a pretty name before.

"Dolly," I said aloud to myself, breaking into a grin. I started the van and made my way to the shop, unable to stop saying her name and grinning to myself. I kept one hand on the wheel and rubbed my face with the other.

I was so proud of Maggie. God, I knew she was smart, but I didn't realize someone could be so smart that they would be bored with school. She was going to be pissed that I didn't tell Dolly to pound sand and stop assigning her extra assignments, and she'd be even angrier to learn that I signed her up for more work. But if it was going to make her better and help her, then I needed to make sure she did it.

Dolly coming over to do the lessons were just an additional bonus. I grinned wider as I parked at the shop and drummed the console before getting out. I was practically skipping in to work, whistling as I walked in. Will furrowed his brows as I came behind the counter.

"You're in a good mood for someone who just got done with a parent/teacher conference," he commented, setting his clipboard down. I beamed at him, opening the appointment book to review the day. I stayed quiet, and he nudged me to get me to answer.

"Maggie has a good teacher, that's all," I replied cryptically. I smirked at him.

"Anything you would like to share?" he pushed. I shrugged, walking towards the garage.

"Her new teacher may have been that girl who came in a couple weeks ago," I answered. His eyes widened, and I went to the garage before he could ask questions. I greeted the mechanics, rolling my eyes as they teased me for being late. Will burst through the doors to the garage.

"You don't get to drop that nugget of information and then walk away!" he admonished.

"What information?" Ross asked, wiping his hands on a rag. Will grinned and crossed his arms.

"Looks like our little anarchist has a new teacher, and Eddie knew the teacher before the conference today," Will teased. I felt my face flush and Lucky, another mechanic, popped his head around one of the cars in the garage.

"Mags has a hot new teacher?" he asked, crass as ever.

"Okay, we don't need to talk about her like that," I insisted, suddenly protective of Dolly. Will clapped my back.

"Yeah, don't talk about Eddie's crush like that," Will joked. I felt like my face was on fire and looked down at my feet.

"Mr. Lonely Hearts Club has a crush?" Ross crowed, throwing his rag at me. I glared at everyone and started gesturing my hands around.

"Alright, alright, this isn't professional!" I exclaimed trying to get to a car I didn't finish yesterday. They all followed me.

"Was this the girl with the nail in her tire?" Ross asked. Lucky laughed.

"Munson, you dog!" he cheered, punching my shoulder. I turned to them.

"You know that I'm your boss, right?" I asked. They all looked at each other, grinning.

"And we like to see that you're finally being a normal human," Will replied. I rolled my eyes.

"You guys are annoying, she's just going to tutor Mags," I insisted, propping up the hood of the car I was going to work on.

"So, you'll have to see her more?" Ross asked. I smirked, trying to hide it from the guys as I worked on the engine. I was still proud of how I had managed to have lessons at my place.