Meatloaf

I helped Eddie scoop the mashed potatoes onto the plates, bumping my hip into him to make him laugh. He finished plating the meatloaf and snaked an arm around my waist, setting his lips against my ear.

"You're making it very hard to be cool and collected," he flirted, his voice low and gravelly.

I grinned and bumped him again, giggling as he squeezed my side. I kissed his cheek, smiling wider when he blushed. I set my hand on his face and pulled him to me, peppering the side of his face with kisses and making him laugh. He kissed me sweetly and picked up two plates.

"Quit distracting me and help with the plates," he ordered, trying to remain serious as he walked past me. I pinched his butt as he walked by and he yelped, smiling at me in disbelief as he left the kitchen. I grabbed the other plates and went out to the dining area, smiling at Maggie and Matty as I walked by.

"Come on, guys – dinner's ready," I said, nodding towards the table.

Maggie pulled Matty up, each of them giggling and getting close to one another. I set the plates on the table and glanced up at Maggie and Matty. There was a brief moment when Matty leaned in, like he was going to kiss her. Maggie's eyes widened and she set her hands on his chest, bringing him out of their bubble. He blanched, whispering apologies to Maggie as they made their way to the dinner table.

Eddie was watching them like a hawk, his eyes narrowing at Matty. I grabbed his hand, pulling him to the chair next to me. He was brought out of his thoughts, smiling at me as we sat down. Matty and Maggie sat down in the chairs across from us, smiling awkwardly.

"Thank y-you for dinner, Mr. – thank you for d-dinner, Eddie," Matty stammered, picking his fork up. Eddie nodded, also picking his fork up.

"Nothing special, but I hope you like it," Eddie replied.

"Eddie's meatloaf is the best," Maggie insisted, taking a large bite. I looked at Eddie, and he smiled with pride.

"So, Matty," Eddie started awkwardly. He glanced at me – I could tell he was out of his element, having never interrogated a boyfriend of Maggie's before. I raised my eyebrows, encouraging him to keep talking. "Tell me a little about yourself."

Matty cleared his throat, looking over at Maggie. I smiled. It was cute how similar Eddie and Matty were – checking in with their girlfriends to see what to say next. She nudged him, encouraging him to answer Eddie.

"Um, I'm, um, I'm a j-junior. I'm o-on the basketball team," he started nervously. I could sense Eddie tense at that fact, and I set a hand on his thigh to calm him. I smiled at Matty, trying to make sure he felt comfortable. "I, uh, I have a brother. I guess you two know that."

I nodded, taking a bite of food to avoid having to answer that. Matty took a sip of water and gestured awkwardly.

"Actually, Ms. Brooks – I m-mean, Dolly – I remember meeting you years ago, when I was a kid," Matty was on a roll now, and I felt my stomach drop, but remained smiling and kind.

"I remember that, too – it's wild how much you've grown up," I answered. Maggie furrowed her brows and looked between us.

"How did you meet Matty?" Maggie asked defensively. I felt my throat catch and forced my smile more.

"I, uh...I dated his older brother in college," I replied awkwardly. Her eyes widened and she looked at Eddie.

"Holy shit," she squeaked.

"Mags, swear jar!" Eddie exclaimed. She shrugged and held her hands up.

"That's just crazy!" she quipped, gesturing between us. "Especially, well, you know!"