Impressive

I was sitting on the couch, waiting for Maggie to get back so I could talk to her about staying with Alexa tonight. I was trying to figure out how to have the conversation with her without raising any alarms. I was practicing my speech to myself, and I leapt up when the front door swung open.

Maggie was giddy and goofy, just like I was when I left any interaction with Dolly. I felt a wave of protectiveness when I realized that she was this way because of a Harrington boy. I took a breath – I wasn't supposed to know she was dating Matty. She grinned at me as she traipsed to the kitchen.

"Hi, weirdo," she chirped as she pulled a gallon of juice out of the fridge. I leaned against the kitchen counter, smiling back at her.

"You're in a good mood," I started, crossing my arms. I snapped my fingers as she started to put her mouth to the bottle. "Get a glass, you heathen."

She rolled her eyes but went to the cabinet to get a glass out. She poured herself a cup of juice and took a sip.

"Who were you coming from seeing?" I pushed, hoping she would open up. I could tell she had just seen Matty – not just based on her mood, but because of how meticulously her makeup was done. Her face turned red, and she shrugged.

"Just the usual suspects," she answered vaguely. I smiled wider – she was so much like me sometimes it was scary. I nodded, playing along with her for now. Dolly said that Maggie was going to be fine, and I needed to trust that.

"Well, speaking of those usual suspects – do you think you could stay the night with Alexa tonight?" I asked, trying to remain casual. She furrowed her brows.

"Why?" she snapped, suddenly on guard. Shit – I was worried this was going to be her reaction.

"Because I am not going to be here tonight," I answered calmly. Her face twisted into a smile.

"Oh, really?" she exclaimed, walking over to me and punching my shoulder. I smiled back at her.

"Yes, I have plans," I said. She smirked.

"With your secret girlfriend?" she teased. I rolled my eyes.

"Can you go to Alexa's or not?" I pushed. She crossed her arms.

"Who's your secret girlfriend?" she questioned. I raised an eyebrow.

"Who's your secret boyfriend?" I shot back. She turned bright red and started stammering. I ruffled her hair. "You've been in an uncharacteristically good mood lately."

"I just, well, um, okay, hold on—"

"Kid, it's okay," I assured her, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. She smiled nervously.

"I can stay at Alexa's," she agreed. I felt a shock of excitement – I could really spend the whole night with Dolly and sleep in with her like she wanted to. I kissed the top of Maggie's head and smiled at her.

"Thanks, Mags – I am about to head out, so just make sure to lock up," I said. She nodded and gave me a quick hug.

"Where are you taking the secret girlfriend?" she asked as I dropped her and went to collect the small bag I had packed to spend the night at Dolly's.

"I'm not telling you – you and Alexa will show up and try to crash," I joked. She laughed and nodded.

"Fair enough," she agreed. I swung my bag over my shoulder and grabbed my keys.

"Be good, kid," I said as I walked out.

"You, too – tell your secret girlfriend I said hi!" she called out as I closed the door behind me. I laughed to myself and got into my car and headed towards Dolly's place.