Bad Moods

"Maggie, get your ass up, you're going to be late to school," I snapped, throwing together her breakfast. I slammed a plate down on the table, already annoyed with today. Maggie came out of her room, frowning at her breakfast. I felt another wave of annoyance. "What's wrong now?"

"There's just a lot of shells in the eggs," she said awkwardly. I sighed.

"Sorry, kid – I'll give you cash for a snack at school," I conceded. She smiled tightly.

"It's alright – are you okay?" she asked.

This question had been on repeat from Maggie for the last few weeks. I hated it. I would vacillate between being absolutely heartbroken to absolutely furious. Ever since Dolly had come by to pick her things up the other day, I had not been able to stop thinking about her. I was even pathetic and stole her nightgown so I could have something of hers. I almost shit myself when Dolly asked about it.

I wish I had been brave enough to ask her to stay and talk. I had almost stopped her, but I couldn't bring myself to potentially hurt her any more than I had. It physically hurt me how much I missed Dolly. I would wake up in the middle of the night, reaching for someone who wasn't there anymore.

"I'm fine," I lied. Maggie sighed and rolled her eyes, knowing I was lying to her. I tempered my annoyance – a terrible part of me irrationally blamed Maggie for my breakup. I know it was wrong. I know that it wasn't even remotely Maggie's fault.

But I would get so angry.

I stormed to the kitchen, not wanting to take my anger out on Maggie. She did not seem to sense my anger brewing and poked her head around the corner of the kitchen.

"So...is there any chance I can finally drive my car to school?" she asked coyly. I felt my shoulders tense and started furiously washing the dishes.

"Not yet," I answered tersely. She groaned, but before she could try to change my mind, I shot daggers at her. She shut her mouth and nodded.

"Alright – I'll walk again," she said, trying to keep her tone light.

"Have a good day," I said flatly, not wanting to talk anymore. Maggie sighed and finally left. I felt a wave of relief, not wanting to talk about it anymore. I wanted to just wallow in my misery by myself.

---

"You are not allowed to work around heavy machinery until you're out of this mood," Will snapped, pointing at me.

"Oh, whatever, old man," I hissed, storming back to the office in the shop. I slammed the door behind me, trying to calm down. I plopped down into the chair in the office, burying my face in my hands.

I was in a foul mood. Everything set me on edge. I had officially lost it when Lucky managed to spill an entire can of engine oil all over the shop floor. This was a normal happenstance, but today I had lost it. I was screaming at Lucky when Will took me by the collar and pulled me off the floor.

I leaned back in the chair. This is why I should have never gotten involved with Dolly. I was single for so long for a reason. But I broke my rule, and now I was miserable. Dolly had seeped into every part of my life, and she was in my bones. God, I was an idiot.

Will suddenly threw the office door open, storming in. He set his hands on his hips.

"You want to tell me why you've been such a fucking nightmare?" he seethed. I scoffed and leaned further back in the chair.

"Lucky spilled that shit all over the floor—"

"Lucky spills shit all of the time – I usually get angrier at him than you do. What you just did was uncalled for," Will lectured. I looked down at my hands.