A Promise

I yawned as I stared at the essay in front of me, losing focus once more. I groaned and reached for my coffee and took another sip of it.

Over the last three weeks, Eddie and I had figured out a routine that would involve me sneaking back into their trailer after Maggie's lessons, and the two of us spending each night curled up and kissing one another. We would talk for hours, making each other laugh or asking questions that we weren't brave enough to ask when it wasn't dark. We had gotten comfortable falling asleep together, and I had gotten spoiled and was unable to fall asleep without him.

We would then have to wake up obscenely early so that Maggie wouldn't catch me leaving and that I would have time to get ready for work. I had no energy whatsoever, and my blood was practically all coffee now, but I didn't mind it when I got to crawl into bed with Eddie at the end of the day.

I rubbed my eyes, trying to focus again – thank God for free periods. I was able to catch up on grading while also relaxing during them. I reached for my coffee again, gasping when I knocked it over and spilled it all over my desk.

"Shit!" I hissed as I snatched the papers off my desk, ensuring they did not get soiled.

I sighed and left my classroom, stomping towards the janitor's closet to get some towels to clean up. Of course, this had to happen – this is what I get for never sleeping anymore. I was a mess now! I got to the closet, throwing the door open with a dramatic sigh.

I felt my eyes widen and jaw drop when I caught Maggie Munson and Matty Harrington kissing, thinking they were hidden in the supply closet. They immediately pulled away from each other, both turning bright red as they realized they had been caught. I felt my exhausted brain struggle to compute what was happening – I remember Eddie had told me that Maggie hated Matty. She had punched him in the nose the first week I started here. Eddie was trying his hardest not to encourage her hatred, especially because of how much he disliked Matty's older brother.

I looked at Matty, Steve's half-brother. Steve hated Matty, and actively avoided him, blaming him for his parents' divorce. I had only met him twice, and I doubt he recognized me. I knew he was a year older than Maggie, which is why he wasn't in any of the classes I taught. I realized we were all standing in an awkward silence, and I cleared my throat.

"Um, I, uh, I just need the paper towels," I explained, uncomfortable when I realized that I was still the adult in this scenario.

"We were just—" Matty started before Maggie elbowed him. I grabbed a roll of paper towels, taking a step back.

"General," Maggie croaked, trying her hardest to remain calm and cool. I shook my head, taking a step back.

"It's okay – you guys aren't in trouble. Just, just don't do this again on school grounds. Go off campus for it, okay?" I said, trying my hardest to remain mature and calm. They exited the small room, both bashful and sheepish in the light of day. I cleared my throat and started back towards my classroom as Matty slunk off.

"General—"

"It's okay, Maggie," I insisted, turning to her as she was underfoot.

I froze when I saw her eyes welling with tears. I set my arm around her shoulders and quickly ushered her into my classroom. I guided her to the front, setting her in the desk she normally sat in.

"Please don't tell Eddie," she begged, her tears finally falling. I shook my head, sitting down next to her.

"No, of course not," I assured her, rubbing her back. She buried her face in her hands, suddenly so vulnerable. "Did...did you not want to kiss Matty? Are you okay?"