Sprinkle Cake Day

I blinked my eyes open, taking in a slow breath to wake up. Eddie was draped over me, my back to his chest and his face buried in the back of my head. He was snoring softly, and I smiled. I took one of his large arms that was hanging around me and started studying his palm. I traced the deep creases and his callouses in his fingers. He snored loudly, and I smiled. I pulled his palm to my lips and kissed it softly.

"Well, that's a sweet way to be woken up," he rasped, kissing my shoulder like I loved. I kissed his palm again.

"I love your hands," I said, tracing the different valleys and wrinkles in his hand. I felt him set his chin on my shoulder so he could watch what I was doing.

"Years of working on clunky cars and failing to think about any pretty girl who might have to deal with them on her skin," he joked. I smiled, continuing to trace the callouses that he seemed to think I resented but that I actually loved.

I loved these moments. The quiet in-betweens where we were in our own bubble and sharing things with each other. He pulled me tighter to him, sighing happily when I wiggled closer to him. He brushed my hair behind my shoulder and kissed me under the shell of my ear.

"I'm nervous about tonight," he admitted quietly. I rolled over to face him, setting my arms around his neck.

"I know. But she's a good kid, and she's so excited about it," I assured him, scratching the back of his head. He sighed and smiled at me.

"She is excited, isn't she?" he replied. I grinned and brushed some of his hair out of his face. I leaned close, brushing our noses together.

"She sure is," I answered. His smile grew and he kissed me sweetly. "Do you know what we're going to do tonight, though?"

His eyes lit up, and he started stroking my hair.

"What?"

"Well, I figured you would want a good distraction, so I figured once we got back to my place, I could make you my favorite pasta, and we could have wine, and talk, and relax," I started, trying to entice him. I was successful, because his eyes crinkled and he nosed my chin up to kiss the pulse in my neck. I grinned and pulled back to look at him. "Maybe even a relaxing shower..."

His eyes flashed and he grinned wickedly.

"I do like your shower," he replied. I giggled.

"I know," I quipped.

He kissed me hard, and I melted into him. He sighed, seeming to calm down. He rolled onto his back, pulling me with him. I set my cheek against his bare chest, enjoying his warmth. I lifted my head and kissed the spot on his chest right between the two tattooed swallows under his collarbones. I set my head back down, and he scratched my arm softly.

"Why do you always do that?" he asked quietly. I looked up at him, furrowing my brows.

"Do what?"

"Kiss me right there," he explained, tapping right where I had just kissed him. I was suddenly embarrassed.

"Oh, I'm sorry—"

"No, no, no – sorry, Doll," he laughed, shaking his head. "I'm just curious."

"Oh," I sighed, relieved. I looked down at the spot he had pointed at. I smiled and traced it, shrugging. "I don't know. It's right between your swallows. Kind of a good central location. I just like it."

I looked up at him, and he was beaming at me. I felt my cheeks flush and grinned back him. I set my chin on his chest. He set a hand on the side of my face and stroked my cheek gently.