This Happy

Dolly waved her hand in my face, asking for a piece of tape without verbalizing it. I smiled up at her, tearing a piece off and handing it to her, watching her as she tacked the streamers we had bought together. I set my hand on the small of her back, winking at her as she smiled down at me.

I looked over to make sure Matty and Maggie were turned away from us, and quickly slid my hand to Dolly's butt to squeeze it. Dolly yelped, and Matty and Maggie turned to us. I shrugged, feigning ignorance. Dolly leaned down to me, setting her hands on my shoulders.

"You better watch it, Mr. Munson," she teased. I raised an eyebrow and smirked at her.

"Big talk coming from you – I'm pretty sure your hands live on my ass," I joked. Her jaw dropped and she turned bright red. I laughed and kissed her quickly. She grinned and I helped her down, keeping my arm around her waist. We turned to Maggie and Matty, and Maggie beamed excitedly.

"What do you think?" Dolly asked Maggie. Maggie squealed with excitement.

"It's so cute!" Maggie exclaimed, practically jumping in place. I grinned, pulling Dolly closer to me. I kissed the top of Dolly's head, thrilled with how excited my baby sister was.

"Alright, kid – looks like you're all set for tomorrow night," I announced. She grinned at me.

"Thank you, Eddie – I'm so excited," she gushed. I glanced at Matty – he was staring at her with a smitten look. He was careful not to touch her in front of me, but still unable to look at her, absolutely lovesick.

"I'm excited for you, kid," I replied emphatically. "Alright, let's start the real birthday celebrations!"

Although Maggie was having a birthday party with her friends tomorrow night, today was actually her birthday. She had begged me to invite Dolly and Matty – I enthusiastically agreed to Dolly's presence and reluctantly to Matty's. We were going to have her favorite meal – my meatloaf – and a vanilla cake that Dolly had made her. She and Matty had come home from school, chattering about the weekend ahead of them. We had agreed to all working together to set up for the party, and then do the smaller celebration tonight.

Dolly followed me to the kitchen, giggling as I reached back and grasped at her. She helped me plate the food, leaning into me when I kissed the side of her face. I stepped behind her, pretending to reach for something, but instead pressed into her back, trapping her between me and the counter. She gasped as I nuzzled into her neck. I started kissing her shoulder, and she leaned back into me.

"Are you excited to give her your present?" she asked quietly. I felt my stomach drop.

Maggie's new car was parked behind the trailer – Dolly had come to pick me up from the trailer before Matty and Maggie got home so I could drive the new car back, and hide it before Maggie got him. I was so proud when I was driving it – it was so cool, and it drove like a dream.

"I hope she will like it," I replied. Dolly turned to me, furrowing her brows.

"You're joking, right? That car is incredible," she insisted. My mouth twisted into a smile, and I kissed her hard. When I pulled back, she was goofy and dazed. "You're quite lovey today."

I shrugged and stepped to the side of her to finish the plates.

"I'm in a good mood," I replied. I felt my face burn and let out a sigh. "I've been in a good mood for a while."

I looked at Dolly, and she was beaming at me.

"You are so cute," she gushed. I grinned and quickly kissed her. I nodded towards the hallway, and she understood, carrying two of the plates.