Chapter 22: Falling Stars

In the dimly lit corridors of the Decepticon headquarters, Orion Eclipse was making his way back to his quarters. As he turned a corner, he came face to face with Knockout, the Decepticon medical officer known for his flamboyance and skill. Knockout, clad in his cherry red armor, was heading in the opposite direction, presumably towards the med bay for his daily duties.

"Hey, Uncle Knockout," Orion greeted, his blue optics gleaming with curiosity. Knockout's optics flickered with surprise, and he flashed a quick, metallic grin. "Oh, hi Orion. What have you been up to?"

Orion replied, "Just reading some books at the Decepticon Archives." Knockout raised an optical ridge, his curiosity piqued. "Oh, really? What have you been reading?"

Orion Eclipse paused for a moment, considering his response. He finally admitted, "Just some history books about the Thirteen Original Primes."

Knockout leaned against the corridor wall, intrigued. "Oh, did you? Did you know that your father named himself after Megatronus Prime, who was one of the Thirteen Original Primes themselves?"

Orion nodded. "Yes, I did know that. My father told me that he named himself after The Fallen. Where is my father?"

Knockout glanced down the hallway in the direction of the command center. "Your father is at a meeting with the Decepticon officials. They're talking about sending Onslaught and the Combaticons on a mission to attack the Autobot capital of Iacon. Did you want to talk to your father?"

Orion hesitated before answering, "I only have a couple of questions that I want answered."

Knockout's frame shifted slightly as he considered Orion's request. "I'm sorry, Orion. But Lord Megatron is extremely busy with his meeting. But if you have a lot of questions, then perhaps I could answer them. I am all audio receptors."

Orion smiled with gratitude. "Okay. Why does my father want the Matrix of Leadership? What is the Matrix of Leadership?" He asked.

Knockout's optics brightened, and he began to explain, "You know, that is a good question. The Matrix of Leadership is a powerful artifact of the Primes. It has the power to defeat Unicron, it was a gift given to the Primes by Primus himself, and it can only be wielded by one worthy of becoming a Prime. Optimus Prime currently holds the Matrix from within his chest, and Lord Megatron wants the Matrix of Leadership because he believes that it could give him ultimate power. Or he just wants the Matrix so that he can give it to The Fallen should he ever return from his imprisonment."

Orion absorbed this information, his optics wide with wonder. "How does my father know The Fallen if the Primes banished him to another dimension eons ago?"

Knockout leaned in closer, lowering his voice. "Well, your father said that he knows his namesake simply because The Fallen can speak to Lord Megatron from another dimension with his telepathy. One time, The Fallen telepathically told your father to go after Optimus Prime before he would get the Matrix from Primus at Cybertron's core. Apparently, he wanted your father to stop Optimus from becoming the Last Prime. But Lord Megatron ultimately failed to stop his arch-nemesis. But that was a long time ago, before you were even born."

Orion tilted his head, processing the information. "How long ago?"

Knockout thought for a moment before answering, "Almost twenty years ago."

The Decepticon medical officer's words hung in the air, filling the corridor with the weight of history. As Orion Eclipse continued his journey to his quarters, he couldn't help but wonder about the secrets and stories that surrounded his father and the ancient legacy of the Primes. By the time Orion Eclipse returned to his room, he searched through his drawers to find his journal when he found a plush robot toy, Orion recognized it as the toy from his childhood.