Prologue

Stirring in her bed, Katara could've sworn the whole world was calling out to her. The satin sheets were sticking to her body after hours of turning from side to side. Breathing heavily, she closed her eyes for the thousandth time, telling herself the same thing she's had for almost five years now.

He promised me to see the world.

With each passing day, she's noticed how Aang's words were slowly loosing meaning to her. Few days after defeating the powerful Fire Lord Ozai, he has whispered this promise to her times and times again.

''I will show you everything, Katara.''

She listened patiently to his excuses. Believed them. However, lately she's just been feeling... unfulfilled. As if there was something even bigger than the war waiting for her. Her own destiny, as she liked to call it. 

This life she was leading right now... Being a healer... Spirits, she prayed it wasn't all there was for her.

Avatar Aang's side piece. The Team Avatar's little healer.

Those were the titles she's been given after doing so much for all the nations. After years of fighting many battles. After years of teaching the Master of Four Elements himself.

When did she accept it? She did not remember ever being fine with it. But she mentioned it so many times to Aang... He always replied in the same way:

''Don't be greedy, Katara. Do not seek the recognition of people who matter so little.''

Over the years, Aang have grown into a man. He no longer had this childish smug about him. He very much became the wise Air Nomad the whole world needed. 

That was just it though. 

Everyone needed him.

Even though he'd say otherwise, Aang always put people first. It was never Katara before all the nations. She needed him just as much or perhaps a bit more. He never felt like that was the case though. 

''Be better, Katara!'' She scolded herself, wiping at her eyes.

She was so tired. Exhausted. There was no point in convincing herself this wasn't going to be another restless night.

Katara soundlessly sat up. The sheets rolled down her body, pooling at her thighs. She was wearing a very scandalous sleeping gown so she couldn't control the way her body shivered. She did realize it was not a smartest choice to sleep in something so... skin revealing. Especially since she was living at the damn South Pole.

It was the only way she could at least feel attractive. Wearing furs every day was not ideal. She started hating it few days after she came back home. It was never an issue all these years ago, when she was still fourteen years old.

Now, she found it very much not to her liking.

She looked around the moon-lit room. It was very minimalistic. Wardrobe large enough to fit her three furs and about five outfits. Dressing table with a wooden box on top, full of her personal belongings. Mirror hanging right above it, little chipped in the corner after her brother, Sokka decided to throw his new boomerang to show her how well it flies.

Only one window. 

One not-so-big window that she was entirely grateful for. No curtains covered the world behind the glass, just like she wished it to be. It was a gift to her, from her father who has renewed his position as a Southern Water Tribe's Chief.

This room, her little private space was something she cherished. It wasn't much but she loved being away from the new built Palace.

It seemed like during the years she traveled the world with the Avatar and her friends, the people of Southern Water Tribe not only grew their territory but also grew in numbers. She was no longer the only waterbender.